Win2K or Xp? Advice needed please.

jjss 13:14 09 Jan 10

I have an old Dell Latitude CP 233XT laptop. Its original O/S was either Win 95 or NT (according to various stuck on labels), with 64 RAM. I managed to get a very cheap 64MB chip off eBay to upgrade the RAM to the M/B max of 128MB. All other hardware upgrades are far too expensive for Laptop’s age.

I’ve checked the system requirement for various spare O/S’s that I have (WinMe, Win2K & Xp) All three would run on this old lappy, but I would rather have an NTFS file system which puts WinMe out of the frame.

My question is this: Which, in your various opinions, would be the better O/S, Win2K or Xp?

I have experience from long ago with Xp but I’ve never used Win2K and I do realise that things would be sluggish compared to my year old Toshiba Satellite Pro running Win 7.

Many thanks in anticipation

Jack

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:34 09 Jan 10

XP because easier to find drivers

Yes 12MB RAM will run XP, just cut down on all the XP bells and whistles and don't try running more than one program at once.

michaelw 13:37 09 Jan 10

I had wk2 for years and it is probably the most stable of the old os's, but I changed to xp a few years ago and now that's pretty much stable. You'll probably find w2k will run faster than xp on 128mb ram though.

GaT7 14:25 09 Jan 10

I think Win2K will run better as well. But if you go for XP, you can cut down all the 'Window dressing' to save resources. A few other tweaks may help as well. click here for a guide. G

jjss 14:39 09 Jan 10

Thanks for your thoughts, Fruit Bat & michaelw.

Interesting that Fruit Bat mentioned drivers, that was my first thought. I was surprised how easy it was to get the necessary drivers for my printer etc., so that wasn’t an issue.

If I disable as much as possible in “services” , obviously with care, would I gain much in speed in either O/S?

Jack

jjss 14:54 09 Jan 10

Thanks Crossbow7

I've had a quick look at your link and bookmarked for future reference.

michaelw 09:08 10 Jan 10

The only mute point is I'm not sure there's a free firewall which supports w2k.

jjss 15:34 10 Jan 10

michaelw

You've raised a fair point. One that I've thought about. I've got the laptop rigged wireless behind a Netgear router which is firewalled.

I've been busy trying to find an AV that's up to date that will run on low specs. I haven't found one yet, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth worrying about. My thinking being a)I'm behind a reasonable firewall thats kept me safe to date, and b)win2k being so old now that the virus makers have moved on,(false sense of security?)

A the moment I'm trying to get my Netgear dongle to hold the wireless connection again. It keeps dropping out on a regular beat. The anonging thing is that I've had it running smoothly up to now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 10 Jan 10

Why don't you try a linux distro on it?
Plenty to choose from and you could try one as a live cd first before uninstalling windows

click here

GaT7 16:05 10 Jan 10

I would go with Fruit Bat's suggestion. No harm done if you don't like it.

As there are so many to choose from, my suggestions would be one of these: Linux Mint click here / SimplyMEPIS click here / PCLinuxOS click here / Freespire click here. G

jjss 16:11 10 Jan 10

I've no experience with linux (yet).

The reason why I'm trying to get this laptop running to to save the price of a new netbook. "She who must be obeyed" wants a netbook to run certain progs, one of which, in it's latest update, won't run on 98se/WinMe anymore, or I would have used that O/S. She is also the sort of person that struggles with using the DVD player & Wii.

This project is also keeping me from getting cabin fever whilst I'm stuck at home during the current big freeze.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…