Win2K does not recognise DVD/CD ROM discs

Prancer 06:50 28 Nov 05

On my second PC I used to use Win 98 SE but recently upgraded to Win2K Pro successfully but for one thing - the DVD/CD drive does not recognise discs. It is shown as working correctly in Device manager but will not play audio CDs or install any programmes. It is a Lite-On LTN 382. I have loookde at the Windows Tested Products site and the manufacturer's website but so far no joy. Any ideas?

elopes77 06:53 28 Nov 05

have you tried downloading the updated drivers for the cd/dvd drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 28 Nov 05

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

Prancer 09:31 29 Nov 05

Thanks Fruit Bat, but the problem is that Windows knows the drive is there but when I insert a disc it does not autorun. Also, if I click on the drive in Explorer it tells me to insert a disc when there is already one in it!
Thanks elopes77 but the manufacturer's website is useless. I have found some other drivers, however, and shall try installing them but none are specifically for Win2K Pro - they are either for DOS or XP with the comment that they "may work with other versions".

Prancer 09:00 03 Dec 05

Thanks all, but for some reason it now works without any new driver!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…