Win2000 problem and a solution maybe?

Demora 21:29 02 Mar 05

My friend still can't get into his pc. has tried everything but a sledgehammer. Now I'm wondering ....IS it possible to put win2000 on a cd rw and somehow get the BIOS to boot from an external cd writer so he can get into his system and transfer his files to my daughters laptop via direct cable connection and then save them to a dvd rw

I seem to remember doing something like this wioth win3.1 and a zip drive. (Not USB tho)

Demora 21:48 02 Mar 05

forgot to mention the external cd rw is USB and that the BIOS can b made to boot from USB. we've tried boot disks and everything. the pc won't have any of it.

VoG II 21:51 02 Mar 05

I'm a bit confused. Is there a link to an earlier thread?

To get the files off the HDD the easiest way would be to put the drive into another PC (not laptop).

Demora 22:49 02 Mar 05

Going back a few weeks yes. But the problem is he's 200 miles away and I'm trying to help from a distance. My daughter is going to see him but can't ake everything with her

click here

click here

All his mates at Uni have laptops and this is a desktop pc

woodchip 22:59 02 Mar 05

Why not just remove the drive and fit it in another computer to get at the files. Fit it as Slave

groundhog 23:01 02 Mar 05

The program in question is "Barts PE Builder" ( a brilliant program) it also includes network capabilities, the downside of this is that it is better to use the target computer to build the boot cd.

However, I have used my desktop pc copy to access and run a laptop. They both used XP and it gave me enough functionality to repair the laptop. So it might work the other way.

Demora 23:17 02 Mar 05

Okay so my next question would be I'm running win xp but I have win 2000 on a laptop with original cd can I somehow make this disk for him?

groundhog 21:40 06 Mar 05

I've not been near a computer for a few days

But the answer to your question is maybe and highly probable I'd use the xp system to make the cd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:55 06 Mar 05

the reason for doing it on the target PC is the drivers for motherboard cd etc.

TomJerry 23:48 06 Mar 05

even you got (build) Live WinXP CD (or Live Linux CD)

A solution is to get an external enclosure hard drive box, take HDD out, put it in the box and then it act as an external HDD, you can use it with Laptop from usb port

Ebuyer Usb 2.0 3.5 Aluminium Silver Caddy £18.91 click here

more click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…