Win2000 pro safe mode

Demora 16:37 10 Jan 05

My friend can't seem to get into windows 2000 safe mode by pressing f8 (its a laptopHe's in Devon I'm in Surrey) and I need to pass this on he isn't on the internet at present.

spikeychris 17:06 10 Jan 05

Pressing F8. I take it he is continuously tapping the key rather than holding it down? Try both ways. Another way would be to turn off the computer with the master button whist it is booting up and the next time Windows loads it should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the safe mode screen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 10 Jan 05

Do one of the following:

If Windows is running:
Close all open programs.
Click Restart, and then click OK.

If Windows is not running:
If the computer is on, turn off the power.
Turn on the computer.

Watch the screen while it is still black.

When you see the black-and-white Starting Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.

The Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu appears.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. In most cases, it is the first item in the list and is selected by default. (If it is not selected, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select it.) Press Enter.

The computer will start in Safe mode. This can take a few minutes.

When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Demora 18:15 10 Jan 05

He's tried both these replies and so far no luck. I'm at a loss here too because I have an old compaq running win 2k so I dug it from under the stairs and botted it into safe mode no problem. Not being very fsmiliar with 2k either I don't know if it would have anything to do with passwords or admin etc.

spikeychris 18:17 10 Jan 05

Has he killed the bootup procedure? This should offer safe mode.

Demora 18:24 10 Jan 05

Ok how would I pass that info on. I'm not having a good day remembering all the old dos stuff

spikeychris 18:32 10 Jan 05

Sorry, I meant the second point of my first posting. "Another way would be to turn off the computer with the master button whist it is booting up and the next time Windows loads it should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the safe mode screen "

BTW, whys he want safe mode anyway?

temp003 04:01 11 Jan 05

If your friend can boot into w2k in normal mode, he can add the safe mode option into a file called boot.ini manually. If he can't boot into w2k at all, then you can stop reading this post.

Double click My Computer. Click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. (1) Tick "Show hidden files and folders" (2) Untick "Hide file extensions for known file types (3) Untick "Hide protected operating system files", and say yes to the pop up warning (4) click OK.

Double click C drive. He should see a file called boot.ini.

Copy the file on to a floppy, as a backup.

Double click the boot.ini file. It should open in Notepad. It's a text file.

At the bottom of the text under the section [operating systems], he should see a line that says something like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

What he needs to do is add a new line to the bottom:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

[There should be one space before /fastdetect, and one space before /safeboot, and no spaces after that.]

[If the original line refers to partition(2), the new line should also say partition(2)]

After adding the new line, click File, Save. Exit Notepad. Restart.

On restart, he should get a "dual boot" menu, giving him the choice of (1) Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, and (2) Safe Mode. Use the down arrow to select Safe Mode. Hit Enter to go into Safe Mode.

temp003 04:13 11 Jan 05

Just thought of an easier way. Sorry. If he can boot into normal mode, he can download XP's msconfig from click here and put the downloaded "msconfig.exe" file into the C:\WINNT\system32 folder. The XP msconfig file works perfectly in w2k.

Then click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Msconfig opens.

Select the BOOT.INI tab. In the Boot Options section, tick the box for /SAFEBOOT and leave everything else as it is, then click OK. Restart. He won't get the boot menu as in the manual method and the computer should go straight into Safe Mode.

After he's done with Safe Mode, remember to go back into msconfig and untick the Safeboot option, click OK, and restart in Normal Mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…