Win2000 PRo - Cannot Log On?

Molded 14:03 11 Sep 04

A friends laptop has been "played with".

On starting up a logon screen appears with his username but he cannot log on.

Message tells him to check username and password etc but although both are correct it won't let him in.

MichelleC 15:51 11 Sep 04

You may find this works:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD
, 2- press enter to start setup
, 3- press F8 for the license agreement
, 4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so
, 5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt.
, 6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000.
, 7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply
settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that
just setup is running again.
, 8- let the inplace upgrade finish

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall
the programs like in a parallel install.

bretsky 15:54 11 Sep 04

Try this click here

bretsky ;0)

Molded 16:40 11 Sep 04

Thanks guys but neither suggestion has worked.

I am in a position now where using my old win98SE CD I had an option to boot from CD.I did and a screen comes up showing the partitions C and D.

win2000 is on one with the other looking empty.

If I install win98 on the empty partition will a dos prompt allow me to format the other partition and so get rid of win2000?

MichelleC 23:18 11 Sep 04

Usually it's best to install 98 1st on a dual boot click here but if you don't mind losing data etc you can fdisk, partition and format from 98 boot disk, thus deleting w2k.

Gaz 25 23:29 11 Sep 04

You can use a password restter disk...

Check on google.

Gaz 25 23:30 11 Sep 04
  temp003 05:17 12 Sep 04

If the password tools don't work, you still have a number of options.

One is to try the full repair installation - which is basically MichelleC's method, but just skip the steps 5 and 6. On the final restart, before booting into W2k, you'll be asked to configure the network or something like that, and you'll be asked to enter computer name and set up account. If you can remember the old computer name, account name and password, use them. If not, it doesn't matter. Just create any Administrator account, and boot into it.

After the repair installation, you will need to reapply all Windows updates, including SP4. Try to install the Blaster and other security patches (download the patches from another computer) before connecting the computer to the internet.

If on the new account, you run into difficulties getting access to old files (saying you don't have permissions etc), right click the folder or files in question (e.g. right click C drive), select Properties, Security tab, click Advanced, Owner tab. In the box "Change owner to", highlight the new account name (which will be shown as [New Computer Name\New Account Name]. Tick the box below "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Click OK, OK again. If necessary, right click C drive again, Properties, Security tab, highlight the New Account in the top half, and in the lower half, tick all the Allow boxes and untick all Deny boxes. Click OK.

Your idea of installing 98 on the D partition will only work if C is now formatted with FAT32. You will not be able to format an NTFS partition from within 98 or with a 98 boot floppy. You won't be able to install 98 anyway if C is now on NTFS.

But if you're happy to format the C partition anyway, you can simply boot up with the w2k CD, press Enter to enter w2k Setup, F8 to accept agreement, then ESC to install fresh copy of w2k. Then when asked where to install w2k, highlight C and press Enter. You'll receive warning about existing Windows, just confirm you want to proceed. You will then be given formatting options. Choose format with NTFS. After formatting, files will be copied to hard disk, computer needs to restart, leave CD in, but this time let computer start from hard disk. Proceed with installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac