win2000 password unknown

Prospero 15:30 04 Oct 06

I have been given a computer with win2000 professional. Password is unknown and required to start windows in normal or safe mode. How do I proceed?

rodriguez 15:45 04 Oct 06

One sec I'll find the boot CD i made that clears Windows passwords....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 04 Oct 06

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

rodriguez 15:47 04 Oct 06

click here for the CD version or if you haven't got access to a CD writer, click here for the floppy version. On the CD version, open Nero or your other CD recording software and go on the option to burn a CD image. On the floppy version, put a blank floppy in and click the file. Tick the Writing on Floppy box and press OK and it'll write the disc. When the CD or floppy boots, the password reset program will start. Press option 1, then select the drive Windows is installed on. It will then search the SAM database and show a list of usernames on your computer. Select the username with the password that you want to reset and make sure there's a X in the reset box. Then press Y to save and Esc to exit. Restart the computer and the Windows password should be gone.

Prospero 16:59 04 Oct 06

Thanks Rodriguez. SAM database showed three users - Administrator, Visit, Guest. It did not show the real username of the previous owner, my friend. All 3 passwords were changed as you suggested but it's still asking for my friends password and giving his username.

Prospero 09:37 05 Oct 06

Another progranmme run from loginrecovery.com suggests it may have "Account Restrictions"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 05 Oct 06

Now you have reste the Administor password, log in as admiistor and delete all the other accounts (I'm sure you don't want your friends data).

Then open another account in your own name and set your own password if required.

Prospero 10:14 05 Oct 06

Thanks, but I can't log in as it demands a password to open windows.

mattyc_92 10:19 05 Oct 06

Type in "Administrator" as the username.... Leave the password field empty and press 'Enter'

If you have removed the Administrator password, it will now login... From here, you can do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ has suggested

Prospero 10:22 05 Oct 06

Many thanks for that - I'm learning all the time. I'll mark this as closed now but have to go out and will deal with it later. Thanks to all who have helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…