Win2000 boot problem

Ray5776 23:08 27 Nov 05

Hello,
I am having a bit of a problem with booting up a Computer using Win2000 pro. Basically it means that I cant boot it but sometimes it will work. Lets assume that it does not. On the screen it says
"AMD Athlon(tm) Processor Checking NVRAM.. 262144KB OK (16 MB Shared Memory Size Used)

WAIT...

It stops at this point and thats it.
Sometimes it boots up normally, any advice most wellcome.

Thanks Ray

Forum Editor 23:37 27 Nov 05

is occurring during the POST (Power On Self Test), and is nothing to do with Windows. It looks to me as if there is a hardware problem, and it might be an idea to open up your computer's case and check that all leads and connectors are properly seated before you try anything else.

Ray5776 00:10 28 Nov 05

Hello,
This machine was working fine 3hrs ago It was only after I rebooted that the problem occured again.
I have checked all the cables inside and they all seem OK. I have had this problem before and have usually resolved it by Disabling or Enabling "Trend ChipawayVirus (R) On guard. Something that I seem to have inherited from the previous set up WinME. It does not do anything and I dont want it but it is in the BIOS and I don`t know how to get rid of it.
Ray

Ray5776 00:40 28 Nov 05

I cannot find POST (Power on Self Test) anywhere

Ray

Skyver 02:24 28 Nov 05

POST is a built in self-test, the Trend Chipaway etc can (usually) be enabled/disabled from within BIOS.
Press Del or F2 (usually) to access the BIOS on bootup and look for the Enable Trend Chipaway entry within the first couple of pages of the BIOS menus.
Disable if it causes you problems. If Windows successfully boots, do a thorough hard-disk check by going to startmenu/run and typing `chkdsk /F` - it may require you to reboot before it will actually do the scan.

Ray5776 17:52 28 Nov 05

Hello,
Having trouble booting my win 2000 M/c.
Somitimes it works OK other times it only gets to "AMIBIOS(c2000)
AMD Anthlon Processor 1.20 GHz
WAIT..."
then it stops. It may work the next time I try it or it may be hours later or even the next day. Whatever the cause it is becoming more and more frequent.
Any ideas please.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now