Win XP/DX9.0 Problem

FCD 17:33 29 Sep 03

I have a dual boot system using Win 98SE and Win XP [Home] and I normally boot straight into Win XP. I recently installed DX 9.0a [along with MS COF flight simulator]. When I select DxDiag in Win XP, the loading progress indicator stops at the ¾ point and, after a few seconds the computer freezes completely; I have no control over Windows and my only option is a manual reset. Once rebooted, when I select DxDiag, the progress indicator stops at the same point and I get the message:

?Dx Diag has detected that there may have been a problem accessing Directplay the last time this programme was used. Would you like to bypass Directplay this time?

If I click ?yes?, DxDiag loads fully and all reacts correctly except the ?Network? tab which has no entries in any of its boxes.

Note that, if I boot into Win 98SE, DxDiag loads correctly with no hesitation and the network tab includes all the relevant entries.

I have reinstalled Win XP and DX 9.0 with no change, I have checked the Knowledge Base and could not find any relevant article; therefore very grateful for any help on resolving this issue.

hugh-265156 18:25 29 Sep 03

click yes when it asks you if you want to bypass.

click the display tab and run the directdraw and direct3d tests.

try clicking disable for the acceleration tabs,save and exit,enter dxdiag again and enable it again.

get the latest drivers for the graphics card click here or click here

failing that reinstall direct x click here (this version does not require an internet connection when installing and can be saved to disc).

Irishman 18:36 29 Sep 03

Download DX9.0b as huggyg71 says and see if that improves matters. There are a lot of problems with the Network tab under DxDiag mostly to do with microphones and recording sound.

FCD 19:37 03 Oct 03

Many thanks - graphics and sound updates did not work. So I looked at the modem - disabled it and dxdiag worked as advertised!!! Downloaded latest Intel driver [update to V92] and the modem and dxdiag both now work ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…