win xp wont install

shauny36 11:15 25 Mar 07

a friend of mine wanted me to format his pc and reinstall xp so after quite a while just managed to format his drive BUT when i try to install xp it gets part the way through and at different points keeps freezing and wont setup.

when it is doing the windows setup it seems to install the files but very slowly.
so have got a couple of hd lying around and tried them but just the same so put a hd in my pc and installed xp from there with no problems.
then put the hd back in his pc and was going to install over the top of it but it came up ntldr is missing. tried this again on different hds and just the same.
could there be something wrong with the motherboard or something else.

Forum Editor 11:21 25 Mar 07

No, the cause is almost certainly that you're trying to boot from the Windows XP CD and the computer's BIOS is set to use the hard drive as the first boot device.

Go into the BIOS settings and set the CD ROM as the first boot device.

howard64 11:22 25 Mar 07

try going to the hdd manufacturers site and downloading its drive setup software. Once done you should have success.

shauny36 11:28 25 Mar 07

have already set it to boot from cd in the bios but still no joy.

also if i download the hd setup software what do i do then or where do i install it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:03 25 Mar 07

MAke sure BIOS is set to CD first HDD second.

Once installed when XP attempts to reboot TAKE CD OUT OF DRIVE.

shauny36 14:08 25 Mar 07

yes 1st boot cdrom
2nd boot ide 0
3rd boot floppy

but still wont install.
gets to different points and stops.sometimes freezes when it says press enter ti install xp
then sometimes freezes after win setup. but never gets to the part where it does the install with 59 minutes remaing page with the info about xp products etc.

howard64 14:56 25 Mar 07

software from maker download and save - if you have a floppy drive after unzipping the file when you run it you are asked for a floppy. Set your bios to boot from floppy and then follow the onscreen instructions. My sata2 drive would not accept win xp until I had done the above. If no floppy you will have to make a bootable cd.

shauny36 16:25 25 Mar 07

even though its a basic 20 +40 gig hd.
but have tried the xp install on about 5 different hds.

howard64 16:28 25 Mar 07

try it you have nothing to lose and it should work. Having reread I see that you do have a floppy drive so you should not have a problem. When I ordered the parts for my new one 2 weeks ago I debated with myself about fitting a floppy. I am really glad I spent the £7 on getting one.

ashdav 16:46 25 Mar 07

I had this problem recently. It was caused by faulty RAM.
Try another stick.

Diemmess 16:54 25 Mar 07

Here's some mumbo jumbo to add to previous advice >>> after <<<< trying booting from a floppy.

If you can rach the A:> prompt with a bootable flopy and have tried to see a HD or CDR there and without success, then at the A:> prompt again try typing exactly.
FDISK /cmbr 1

This is a dose of salts to a corrupt partition/file structure on the HD.
It solved a stalemate problem for me when trying to use Partition Magic before installing XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced