Win Xp wont allow log on

Alf58 19:20 22 Oct 04

When i boot up my Win Xp Sp2 computer I get to the welcome screen, I click on my name to log on, I get a brief view of the desktop (No icons are visible) and then it goes to ".logging off saving your settings." After that it goes back to the welcome screen where I am invited to click on my name to log on. So on and so on. I tried safe mode but still ended up at welcome screen with same results.

Alf58 19:42 22 Oct 04

please help i am totally stuck

jonawill 19:52 22 Oct 04

Have you recently run ad aware as it can cause this problem. There is a solution on there web site. As you have posted this I am assuming you have access to the web via an alternate PC. i HAVE SERVICE PACK 2 ON MY LAPTOP WITH NO PROBLEMS AT THE MOMENT. i HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP

spikeychris 19:57 22 Oct 04

Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select "Last Known
Good Configuration" and press enter. If that fails, again, do the above but
this time select "Safe Mode." At Safe Mode you should be offered the option
of going to System Restore. Do so and try taking the system back to a time
prior to when this began.

If that fails try a Repair Install.

Boot from CD-ROM,

You will see....

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the system prompts you to select one of the following options:

To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press

Press R to start the automatic repair process.

Alf58 20:29 22 Oct 04

Thanks for your response spikey Chris.

I tried "last known good configuration" but it made no difference to the problem.

Safe mode on my machine did not offer a system restore option.

The Repair option is slightly problematic for the following reasons: My machine went badly wrong (different problem) about a month ago and the person who repaired the machine installed Win XP from his own CD not the one I supplied him with which came with the machine. QUESTION: will I be able to use the Repair Option using the OEM Win Xp CD I have which is now not the one which is nowinstalled on my ailing computer? I'm really concerned I dont lose everything like last time.

spikeychris 20:37 22 Oct 04

"Safe mode on my machine did not offer a system restore option."....When you booted to SM did you do the progs, accessories, system tools, system restore option?

Alf58 20:48 22 Oct 04

Errrr..... I'll have a go at that.

My safe mode options are as follows:
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration
directory services restore mode(windows domain controllers only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure

start windows normally
return to os choices menu

spikeychris 20:52 22 Oct 04

Have a go then. If for some reason you cant reach system restore then then press F8 at startup and select - Safe Mode "with a command prompt." (You can reach that)

Type the following command

Hit enter.

Follow the instructions.

Alf58 21:05 22 Oct 04

I selected safe mode with command prompt but the machine booted to the welcome screen, in low resolution and offering an Administrator option as well as one of the usual four names in the welcome screen. The administrator requests a password which as far as I know does not exist.

VoG II 21:09 22 Oct 04

Just press the Enter key at the password prompt.

spikeychris 21:17 22 Oct 04

As VoG says hit enter if there is no password. It will start in low res at it loads just the bare bones. What it does load though is Cmd.exe instead of Windows Explorer so you can run the command.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…