Win XP and wireless problem

JoJoh 22:00 18 Nov 04

I have run a wireless network on a computer with Win 98 for 3 months without any problems. Unfortunately the computer is too slow and the new one arrived today. This is a Dell and has Win XP home edition. I have put the wireless card from the old computer into the new one but nothing will work. It can't find the wireless access point. I have tried for 4 hours but still no luck.

Does anybody know any possible reason? Is it to do with a Firewall or something else that is required in XP? (I did disable the Firewall but it didn't help) The wireless card and Access point are both Netgear.

JoJoh 22:08 18 Nov 04

One further point. When I look at the connection it says "Firewalled". I have turned off the XP and McaFee Firewall. Is this possibly causing the problem?

PA28 22:48 18 Nov 04

I have a long thread running elsewhere reagrding the trials and tribulations I experienced in getting a wireless network running in XP with SP2. The solution eventually was investing in an ADSL Wireless Modem/Router and using the software supplied with the wireless cards (rather than XPs) on the other machines. This probably won't cheer you up too much.

JoJoh 23:12 18 Nov 04

Thanks PA28!!! I am really stuck as I need to get this up and running really quickly. The Netgear software mentions about a Microsoft hotfix and that if it is installed then there is a need to go to their website. As it is SP2 perhaps this is the problem.

I may try to call Netgear tomorrow. Other than that I don't know another solution. I may try to set the Access point on a different setting however I feel that the problem is with XP.

PA28 11:06 19 Nov 04

If it's any help I started afresh and created a completely new network name and then deleted the myriad of other networks that I had created whilst trying to get peer to peer running (unsuccessfully). The dedicated router did make things a lot easier - I think SP2 had a real problem with P2P (there's a lot of threads on this site and a few in the Microsoft knowledge base too, so we're not alone) - it's tempting to look for SP2 and Firewall blocking, but in the end this seemed not to be the problem. If you ask me how eventually I got a working network I have to say - hand on heart - that I really don't know! By with the aid of the router (Netgear recommended widely but I used a Belkin as NG were impossible to find and I needed a quick fix too) I did.

BigMoFoT 11:54 19 Nov 04

If you are using XP to control the wireless settings then you'll need to check the mode that the adapter is in, Ad-HOC. Access point preferred etc..
Make sure you have the latest drivers for the card in question. Realistaclly wireless networking in XP with SP2 is a lot easier but if you are using XP to control the adapter that when it becomes a little trickey.

What adapter/card do you have and do you use XP's software or the one supplied.

JoJoh 12:15 19 Nov 04

Hi - Thanks for your reply. I am still having a nightmare with this. I thought that as the Access point was working in win 98, I could just plug the card,load the wireless card software and it would all work fine.
I have spent 1 hour with Netgears helpdesk and they were useless. The guy trying to help knew less than me. He was tring to read up on it whilst on the phone.

Anyhow, I am going to re-set the access point this weekend and try to set up the wireless card again.

Thanks for your help

JoJoh 12:15 19 Nov 04

Hi - Thanks for your reply. I am still having a nightmare with this. I thought that as the Access point was working in win 98, I could just plug the card,load the wireless card software and it would all work fine.
I have spent 1 hour with Netgears helpdesk and they were useless. The guy trying to help knew less than me. He was tring to read up on it whilst on the phone.

Anyhow, I am going to re-set the access point this weekend and try to set up the wireless card again.

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…