win xp virus ???

hubdean 16:11 24 Jul 04

can anyone tell me if a virus can hide in win xp even if i restore it to factory settings.
i dont have a disk to reformat the drive win xp is built into my computer

QuickHare 16:19 24 Jul 04

This depends on how you repair your computer. If you don't have a Windows XP CD, then you should have a restore CD provided by your manufacturer. If this CD reformats your drive before copying all the files back to your computer, then this can delete viruses. If it simply replaces files without reformatting the drive, then some viruses can hide.

The best way to avoid viruses is to use a good virus checker and practising some common sense.

stalion 16:20 24 Jul 04

are you in a position to run a virus check now?

hubdean 16:30 24 Jul 04

all redy ran one 100% free

hubdean 16:31 24 Jul 04

my computer keeps not responding ???

stalion 16:34 24 Jul 04

when you say not responding,what are you trying to access at the time.Also have you run a ad-ware check,checkdisk and de-frag

hubdean 16:45 24 Jul 04

most programs i run will end up not responding somwhere along the line

stalion 16:50 24 Jul 04

have you cleared your temp files and internet history

stalion 16:51 24 Jul 04

Also do you have a registry program to run a register check

hubdean 16:52 24 Jul 04

all files cleaned out
computer 160gb
95% free
not a lot in it at this time

QuickHare 15:33 25 Jul 04

Try switching off your virus checker for a bit to see if this solves the problem. The virus checker could be configured to check all files accessed by the computer. Although this improves safety, it may freeze applications while the virus checker checks a large file needed by the application.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…