Win XP uninstall folders

EJ1947 15:07 25 Aug 05

Hi, I have about 50 folders in c:\windows with headings like $NtUninstallKB823559$ or similar which I presume have been put there during windows update.
Can these be deleted or must they remain?
Running XP home. SP1.
Thanks.

Jackcoms 15:16 25 Aug 05

Leave them alone. By deleting them you may cause Windows to malfunction.

Oh, and by the way, isn't it time to install SP2 ?? ;-)

EJ1947 15:21 25 Aug 05

Thanks for info. I suppose I should update to SP2 -- next rainy day!!

Jackcoms 15:25 25 Aug 05

Just had torrential rain and thunder storm here in Sussex.

Be off with you to the Windows update site!

BurrWalnut 15:28 25 Aug 05

I would delete them as they are only required in the event that you want to uninstall a fix.

Ordinarily I delete them once the download has been behaving itself for about a week or 2.

They will appear in Add/Remove Programs but just click on them and the entries will be removed.

EJ1947 15:42 25 Aug 05

Confused now !!! Jackcoms says leave and Burrwalnut advises delete. A third opinion may swing it.
Also the actual updates do appear in add/remove but I thought they must not be deleted. I am only concerned about the uninstall folders in explorer.

PS Jackcoms - just started raining here so no excuse now.

VoG II 15:46 25 Aug 05

You can delete them but if you do then you won't be able to uninstall the corresponding Windows Updates.

Personally I keep them.

BurrWalnut 15:49 25 Aug 05

You can delete them but have a look at the dates so you don't remove recent ones (which I doubt as you're running SP1).

If you're concerned about removing them, copy them to a CD-R before deleting them.

BurrWalnut 15:49 25 Aug 05

You can delete them but have a look at the dates so you don't remove recent ones (which I doubt as you're running SP1).

If you're concerned about removing them, copy them to a CD-R before deleting them.

BurrWalnut 15:54 25 Aug 05

Double post - sorry, refreshed after an error.

Just to explain further:-

1. Delete the folders in Explorer.

2. Go to Add/Remove Progs (tick show updates) and click on one that you have deleted. Windows will recognise that it has been deleted and allow you to remove it from Add/Remove.

EJ1947 15:56 25 Aug 05

Thanks - good idea - i will put them onto CD just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…