win xp system restore.

bengo 15:07 02 Jun 04

I don't know if this has been brought up before, I did a quick search and found nothing so please bear with me if it is a stupid or obvious question. Thanks. The concensus at work seems to be that if you Defrag your hard drive, you lose/corrupt all your previous System Restore points, is this true??, their advice is to disable System Restore, thereby deleting all previous Restore points, then Defrag and then enable System Restore again, does this make sense. Can anyone please advise if this is true.
Thanks in advance.

hugh-265156 15:18 02 Jun 04

cant say i have ever heard that one :-)

Stuartli 15:18 02 Jun 04

I think you are confusing this with altering the Registry - if you do alter the Registry you should immediately create a new System Restore point (My Computer>Properties>System Restore tab or Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore).

Stuartli 15:20 02 Jun 04

Forgot to say that System Restore will not work until you actually create the new point in such cases.

Stuartli 15:21 02 Jun 04

Forget the My Computer link in above as well...:-)

It's for setting the cache percentage figure.

GaT7 19:05 02 Jun 04

bengo, This probably is not a problem but if you are still concerned you can use the free Diskeeper Lite (click here) to defragment your drive. There's an option in DK where one can exclude specific folders from being defragmented. So, just exclude your System Restore's folder in DK's options. If you need to know where this folder is situated see below...

"How and Where System Restore Points are saved: Restore points are saved in under x:\system volume information\_restore{558C94FD-3C7F-4954-A02D-
26679E6D849E}. Each restore point's files are saved in a folder named RPXX where XX is a two digit number corresponding to the restore point." (Source: click here & scroll down a bit).

HTH, G

Stuartli 09:50 03 Jun 04

I did a defrag last night - the System Restore points are still available.

bengo 16:41 05 Jun 04

Sorry, been away for a couple of days and have not been able to respond, thanks for the answers, the way it was explained to me was :
the System Restore Points appear to be there but if you try and use one of them, you find they do not work as they are corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…