win xp start up

MICRON1 19:16 11 Feb 04

all's been ok till my son said yes to allowing something! to access the internet from zone alarm. when the pc starts up (after the black & white bit)there used to be a blue screen with the names of all the users. Now there's a small winxp box asking for user's name & password. It appears again when we log off & we now can't switch user. can anyone tell me whats going on & if i can change it back again?

LeadingMNMs 19:18 11 Feb 04

Go into control panel and user accounts. Click on the change the way users log on and off and then put a tick in the 'use the welcome screen' box.

MICRON1 19:20 11 Feb 04

they are both ticked!

MICRON1 19:29 11 Feb 04

When i go start/log off/ switch user, a box appears that says "this computer is in use and has been locked" then you have to enter your name & password "only the owner or administrter can unlock this computer"

MICRON1 21:45 12 Feb 04

i've unchecked the bottom 1 but it's still the same

VoG II 21:50 12 Feb 04

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

MICRON1 17:54 15 Feb 04

ok thanks that's sorted that out but now i have other problems!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…