win XP SP2??

kangawallafox 01:02 23 Feb 04

Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on when service pack 2 for xp is likely to be released??

Forum Editor 06:54 23 Feb 04

that we'll see it at some point in the late summer/early autumn. I've been beta testing it for some time now, but Microsoft hasn't yet come up with a further beta, Whether this will happen, or whether it will simply go to release is anyone's guess. It's pretty stable, although I've noticed a few small anomalies. Because of its size (around 200Mb) I would imagine there's a good deal of work to be done - Microsoft will want to get such a large Service Pack right before the world at large has a chance to install it.

AubreyS 08:01 23 Feb 04
  georgemac 08:48 23 Feb 04

click here it looks good, I already have some parts, dx9.0b and media player 9, but the improved firewall and security features will be very interesting.

I note that they will be turning the messenger service off by default and improving the dcom security. I already have both of these off due to freeware supplied by Steve Gibson Corporation click here who has (supposedly) identified a lot of the security faults in XP.

Should be a very interesting improvement to XP, although more complaints about building apps into the OS may follow again?

Just hope we have broadband by then because it will surely be a dig download.

It had been rumoured that surfing speeds will be improved but nothing in the articles about this.

Jester2K 08:50 23 Feb 04

"Steve Gibson Corporation click here who has (supposedly) identified a lot of the security faults in XP. "

Cheers- I've just shot coffee all over my keyboard and monitor.... Still it gave me a good laugh....

powerless 18:28 23 Feb 04

"I've been beta testing it for some time now, but Microsoft hasn't yet come up with a further beta, Whether this will happen, or whether it will simply go to release is anyone's guess."

A little birdy whispered in my ear that there will be another beta release.

But wait and see.

georgemac 19:24 23 Feb 04

just what I have read but I know (but do not know any detail) that there is a lot of contention about it - I found his site useful with the above apps and the shields up test - or are they no good?

sorry about your keyboard but at least you laughed!

'I was having a drink then!' Mark and Lard (RIP).

powerless 00:34 24 Feb 04

Told you!

"We're still expecting a new build to be released to testers within the week but there are rumours that RC1 will be released around March 4th"

powerless 00:36 24 Feb 04
  powerless 00:54 24 Feb 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…