win XP SP2??

kangawallafox 01:02 23 Feb 04

Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on when service pack 2 for xp is likely to be released??

Forum Editor 06:54 23 Feb 04

that we'll see it at some point in the late summer/early autumn. I've been beta testing it for some time now, but Microsoft hasn't yet come up with a further beta, Whether this will happen, or whether it will simply go to release is anyone's guess. It's pretty stable, although I've noticed a few small anomalies. Because of its size (around 200Mb) I would imagine there's a good deal of work to be done - Microsoft will want to get such a large Service Pack right before the world at large has a chance to install it.

AubreyS 08:01 23 Feb 04
  georgemac 08:48 23 Feb 04

click here it looks good, I already have some parts, dx9.0b and media player 9, but the improved firewall and security features will be very interesting.

I note that they will be turning the messenger service off by default and improving the dcom security. I already have both of these off due to freeware supplied by Steve Gibson Corporation click here who has (supposedly) identified a lot of the security faults in XP.

Should be a very interesting improvement to XP, although more complaints about building apps into the OS may follow again?

Just hope we have broadband by then because it will surely be a dig download.

It had been rumoured that surfing speeds will be improved but nothing in the articles about this.

Jester2K 08:50 23 Feb 04

"Steve Gibson Corporation click here who has (supposedly) identified a lot of the security faults in XP. "

Cheers- I've just shot coffee all over my keyboard and monitor.... Still it gave me a good laugh....

powerless 18:28 23 Feb 04

"I've been beta testing it for some time now, but Microsoft hasn't yet come up with a further beta, Whether this will happen, or whether it will simply go to release is anyone's guess."

A little birdy whispered in my ear that there will be another beta release.

But wait and see.

georgemac 19:24 23 Feb 04

just what I have read but I know (but do not know any detail) that there is a lot of contention about it - I found his site useful with the above apps and the shields up test - or are they no good?

sorry about your keyboard but at least you laughed!

'I was having a drink then!' Mark and Lard (RIP).

powerless 00:34 24 Feb 04

Told you!

"We're still expecting a new build to be released to testers within the week but there are rumours that RC1 will be released around March 4th"

powerless 00:36 24 Feb 04
  powerless 00:54 24 Feb 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…