Win XP and SP1. Should I or shouldn't I?

Colinp 07:54 19 Aug 03

I seem to remember some talk about SP1 slowing down computers and various other things.
What is the general concensus of opinion now. Should I download and install SP1? Or leave well alone?

bigray 08:00 19 Aug 03

I downloaded SP1 & noticed no difference, go for it

alcudia 08:23 19 Aug 03

Same here. No problems at all.

Jester2K II 08:25 19 Aug 03

Create a restore point then do it.

No prblems here - running SP-1a

DieSse 08:28 19 Aug 03

SP1 does not slow down computers, and not installing it is not, in fact, "leaving well alone".

SP1 includes a number of important security updates, fixes for problems, and general improvements. It's also inevitably a base for future fixes, without which some will be impossible to install.

But do abide by the advice to stop other running programs before doing the installation - especially AV programs and any "system tools" yu might have running.

Kitz E Kat 08:35 19 Aug 03

No problem, acted a bit funny at first, but sorted itself out , no probelms in terms of speed which if i can remember was an issue. As Jester2k says create a restore point and do it!!!

Good luck
Kitz E

-pops- 08:39 19 Aug 03

I've noticed a couple of SP1 installations where the machine slowed to a crawl after the first reboot but, after that it was back to normal speed.

I've a feeling that this phenomenon was what people used to complain about with SP1 slowing machines down.

plankton 11:51 19 Aug 03

No problems with my system either. I also try to get all security updates down as soon as I can as well. I actually forgot to take a backup (until I'd started and then went into panic mode) but it was OK! (TFFT). Try and get it on CD, it's free from click here, takes about a week to arrive (unless you've got Broadband and then take a copy).

The Sack 11:55 19 Aug 03

It is best to slipstream it in to the XP install, you have even less chance of it going wrong then.

Using Nero click here

Colinp 20:50 20 Aug 03

Well, I think my answer is to go ahead and do it then. Thanks for your replies. Now all I've got to do is work out how to save my downloads on to CD so I don't have to download them all again if and when computer goes belly up

-pops- 20:53 20 Aug 03

Do you mean you don't have a backup????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…