Win XP SP1 - does it support large capacity HDD?

ykzn 14:30 24 Aug 06

Hi all!

I've heard from other people that windows xp sp1 doesn't support HDD capacity larger than 137GB(I am not sure 'coz I can't remember).

Is it true? If it is true, how can I install a new HDD with the capacity of 320GB with the win xp sp1?

jimv7 14:34 24 Aug 06

Install sp2 first.

alrocks 14:34 24 Aug 06

yep - by the way you really want to upgrade to SP2. Microsoft is going to stop updating SP1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 24 Aug 06

SP2 is required not only for your HDD to be recognised it also contains a lot of security updates.

Stuartli 15:07 24 Aug 06

But in fairness they are also two years old and more now...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 24 Aug 06

Stuartli

Agree so look how far out of date his security is!

Wide open for attacks.

ykzn 16:21 24 Aug 06

Thanks all!

So, I do have to install Windows XP Professional SP2 instead of the one with sp1 and only installing separate sp2 after that!?

What if i only have win xp with sp1 and separate sp2 file?

Can i still install win xp sp1 and installing separate sp2 after that???

Thanks!

Jak_1 16:32 24 Aug 06

xp sp1 does support large capacity hdd's as does windows me! My pc came with win xp sp1 and 2 x 160 GB internal hdd's. I also run an ext 300 GB drive and a 250 GB drive in a caddy all at the same time.
I have never put sp2 on, mainly due to all the problems peeps were having when it was issued. I am well covered for security using 3rd party software ie zonealarm, avg antivirus and 4 diff antispyware programs. Any personal details are protected in pgp volumes requiring a passphrase 26 character alphanumecic passphrase.

I have had no security breaces nor problems running any of my drives.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 24 Aug 06

I am well covered for security using 3rd party software ie zonealarm, avg antivirus and 4 diff antispyware programs.

But you are NOTcovered for the vulnerabilities in the operating system. That leave you open to script kiddies running programs on your system.
Microsoft does not work to create patches / updates just for the fun of it.

All problems (there were very few mainly due to Prescot CPUs) installing SP2 are now sorted

ykzn 20:15 24 Aug 06

Thanks Jak_1! Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\!

Honestly, I don't know what are the vulneribilities in the operating system. So, please explain to me what they are.

And, Fruit Bat /\0/\, are the problems of sp2 caused by prescott CPUs?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 24 Aug 06

are the problems of sp2 caused by prescott CPUs?

No longer, MS have a patch to prevent these problems.

what are the vulneribilities in the operating system

There are so many that MS isues patches every month

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…