win xp shutdown in mid program - no warning

flick 21:27 15 Jun 03

I'm new to XP having just bought a laptop and pc from dell, both running xp. The laptop is wirelessly connected to main pc via a dell router. This, plus a cordless mouse are the only 2 pieces of 'hardware' added to the laptop since purchase. In mid-game, the screen went blank and an error message appeared saying that windows had closed down to protect the computer.

In my past life - w98 - I got used to things not working if they weren't properly installed, and just reinstalled until they did.

The mouse and wireless connection (and the game)have been working fine for several days, so why did winxp close down so abruptly? Is this normal? I'll call dell tomorrow, but would like to know if this is typical behaviour for a new set up such as ours.

there are quite a lot of games (particularly older ones) that xp doesnt like. there are patches for some games so see if you can get one for yours, otherwise give up on the game or work out exactly the circumstances in which it cuts out and avoid that action. for instance in GTA2 if you try and hijack a moving police car whilst firing a machine gun at the same time it cuts out but if you take your finger off the trigger everything is OK.

flick 21:51 15 Jun 03

The game in question is Warrior King Battles. It claims to be compatible with xp and won't run on our ageing w98 computer.
Not allowing you to do something is perhaps, fair enough but to close the whole system down without warning seems a bit extreme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…