Win XP repair

tonyq 19:58 30 Aug 10

I have recently deleted a partition on my Win XP PC which had Linuxmint installed on it. I then did repair that had been suggested on here a while ago Courtesy of Fruit Bat.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

My problem is that it did not reboot,and all I get is as below. What have I done wrong and can it be fixed?

click here

BRYNIT 20:13 30 Aug 10

Just a thought. If you went into the bios did you accidentally remove the option to boot from the HD.

tonyq 20:32 30 Aug 10

When it did not reboot I removed the xp disc and rebooted but got the same screen. I thought that if there was no cd in it went to the Hard drive next.

Graphicool1 08:35 31 Aug 10
  tonyq 11:37 31 Aug 10

I have followed Graphicool1's link,removed the disc set BIOS to boot from HD. This is the screen shot of what I see when I boot up.
click here

Not sure what I should do next.
Advice please.

Graphicool1 13:09 31 Aug 10

Did you read ALL the posts in the link, before deciding whose advice to take. The way I read it is that there are two or three different suggestion and solutions.

tonyq 14:48 31 Aug 10

Graphicool1,
thank you for the link.
I used the following from your link.

drs305
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
How to restore the Windows XP bootloader

It seems to have removed the Linux "grub" bootloader so that I can load Win XP.
What do you suggest I do next,should I go through it again,reload my windows disc to repair, I've no idea what to do for the best.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 31 Aug 10

Put the CD in the drive and let it complete the install.

tonyq 18:47 31 Aug 10

I have put the CD in the drive and let it complete the install. When it had completed installing the files, this came on screen.

WindowsXP Home Edition Setup

Set Up cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information.
This indicates an internal setup error.
Contact your system administrator.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 31 Aug 10
  tonyq 19:39 31 Aug 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I presume this means that some hardware may be not compatible. Trouble is if I cannot get into Win XP I am unable to uninstall the hardware.
P.S. What things do they class as hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…