WIN XP reload

guzgog 20:29 04 May 08

Hi I hope someone can help. I had a virus in my boot sector which stopped me loading windows. I tried to re-load XP but to no availe. So after formating my hard drive I put on my old Win 98 then ME. However when I tried to reload Win XP, (I have all my serial numbers which I enter sucssessfully), I get the message iaSetor.sys not found: this takes me back into a loop of restart computer etc. In win ME I have run the find folder for iaStor.sys and it goes straight to the D promt where I have the Win XP OS disc. Hope someone out there can help. Please genuine advice only. Thanks Guzgog

csqwared 20:39 04 May 08

As far as I'm aware you don't need to install Win98 or ME when installing XP if you are doing it from a retail (upgrade) version, just insert the XP disc to install and during the installation process you will be asked to insert the '98 disc, and then re-isert the XP disc. Found the following if it gives you any clues:-

Windows XP needs it so instal.
Adam Ehrman Shapiro
Rate
iastor.sys is the intel matrix storage manager driver file. You may be able to start and stop it but once windows loads it's always running anyways if you have a HDD controller that needs it.
Mike (further information)
Rate
This file was made by Intel to give Windows more access to the harddrive. It is a file that Dell machines will request upon an installation of windows xp.
Otto
Rate
If you have RAID configuration do not remove file!
Roni (further information)

VoG II 20:40 04 May 08

I think that you mean iaStor.sys

Try cleaning the XP CD and try again.

csqwared 20:45 04 May 08

you could also have a look here click here

guzgog 20:51 04 May 08

Have read your comments but please note I HAD TO reinstall 98 then ME to get the computer running again but I cannot get my copy of XP ( genuine I have the SN) to reinstall. I still get the cannot find iaStor.sys message. Then the computer goes back into a loop of restart/ reload Windows or XP setup. I can restart using ME. This is not a Dell computer. Should I reformat the HDD and try XP from a clean install? Guzgog

Zeppelyn 21:07 04 May 08

Why not download a copy of the file and put it on floppy. When the XP install asks for it you just point to the floppy drive.

VoG II 21:08 04 May 08

Install XP click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…