Win XP reinstall - HELP!

kumarisblue 09:41 09 Aug 05

Can anyone please help...I am getting deperate! I am part way through a format and reinstallation of Win XP on an emachine 620 due to riddled with viruses etc.
I have completed Fdisk and Format of disk drives but now when I need to reinstall XP on formatted drive I keep getting the A:\> prompt and everything I try to put in just comes back with invalid command or bad command line. I have tried various commands eg: setup, exe etc. What am I doing wrong????
All help greatly appreciated! Thanks

mattyc_92 09:42 09 Aug 05

You are supposed to boot from the installation disk (You may need to change the boot settings in the BIOS)

mattyc_92 09:44 09 Aug 05

What version of WinXP are you using? Home or Pro? (as you can get some "floppy disks" to boot the cd if your BIOS isn't able to)

kumarisblue 11:08 09 Aug 05

I am trying to reinstall xp home edition...feeling desperate and appreciate the advice thanks!

mattyc_92 11:09 09 Aug 05

click here You will need about 6 floppy disks.

mattyc_92 11:12 09 Aug 05

or use this one click here

kumarisblue 11:31 09 Aug 05

Have tried this...when it asked me to put windows xp home edition disk in I put in manufacturers recovery disk and it swore at me telling me that i have a corrupt partition! What do I do or is all a lost cause?

mattyc_92 11:32 09 Aug 05

What do you mean "swore at me"?

kumarisblue 11:35 09 Aug 05

It told me that it could not continue as the partition it was trying to install it on was corrupt

ACOLYTE 11:39 09 Aug 05

I think,but am not sure that the recovery disk is looking for the partition on the hard drive the factory put there,that has all your windows files on it,and when you booted with the floppies
and it asked for the xp cd i think it meant the full version cd not a restore cd.You should have been able to restore with this disk before formating now you have lost the partition the restore disk looks for on the hard drive.The onlt way round it may be getting a copy of XP and installing that.

ACOLYTE 16:56 10 Aug 05

Another thought on this is if you fdisked the drive then it will no longer have the NTFS file system on it the restore disc would assume to be there,this may be another reason the cd said the partition was corrupt.
But i think unless the restore cd has a boot up option on it that will format the drive to ntfs and reinstall the os you may need to get a new copy of xp,or send it back to the company you got it from they should be able to put the os back on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos