WIN XP -- Registry Backups

Blott 17:19 27 Feb 05

Sorry about this - I am sure it has been covered before, but I can't get any sense out of the search on the forum.

Prior to removing a virus, I need to backup the registry.

Instructions are use the backup facility Start > Progs > Accesories > System Tools > Backup.

That Option is not there.

So, I need to Install the Backup Utility by double clicking on the NTBACKUP.MSI file, said to be on the XP CD.

However, I do not have the CD and cannot locate the NTBACKUP.MSI file anywhere on the machine.

Please, anyone, is there not an easier way to make a registry backup - for instance, is the registry on the machine as a directory which I can just copy to a floppy, zipdrive or CD ?

Would appreciate any help.

My apologies, as I'm sure this is a time waster for most members.

Regards
Blott

User-312386 17:23 27 Feb 05

No problem

Start>run and type regedit

Ensure the My Computer icon is highlighted then select File>export

Name the file say todays date and then save

All done

VoG II 17:23 27 Feb 05

You do not need Backup to backup the registry!

Start, Run, type

regedit

and click OK. On the File menu select Export and save a copy somewhere handy like the desktop. That is your backup. To revert to the backup, double click the exported file.

Or, create a system restore point.

rawprawn 17:24 27 Feb 05

Start/Run/Regedit/Highlight My computer/Click File/Import Export/Click Export, choose a location / Save

Blott 17:35 27 Feb 05

Madboy33 , VoG, rawprawn,

Really great, many many thanks for such a swift reply.

All best regards
Blott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…