win xp refresh rate cap?

dontaskme 00:49 14 Feb 03

i remember reading ages ago that win xp limits the refresh rate. it didn't affect me as i didn't have a working graphics card.

has microsoft fixed it? how do i fix it if they haven't?

powerless 00:55 14 Feb 03

Service Pack One, i think.

click here

I know i can change my refresh rate.

cream. 01:05 14 Feb 03

dontaskme. Yes it seems to give the refresh rate only 60 hertz.

I was able to up mine to 85 hertz with a 5 year old 17" philips monitor.

All I had to do was right click the desktop, pick settings and then advanced. I then picked the monitor tab and then increased the screen refresh rate a bit at a time. When it reached 85hertz. I stopped.

It did give me the option to go to 120hertz, but I don't want to push my luck. lol

Djohn 01:08 14 Feb 03

dontaskme, How could you see what you was doing without a "working graphic card" :o)

Djohn 01:10 14 Feb 03

Oh! and why I'm here, Good morning to you as well, Hamlett! ;o)

Acid Burn7uk 02:53 14 Feb 03

I have a windows utillity toolkit here, which contains something called the NVRefresh tool, which supposedly fixed this. Try searching on google or something as I think it is free!

PSF 08:09 14 Feb 03

It has not been fixed yet, the problem is with games you have the fixed refresh rate of 60hz.

With a normal desktop you can change your reolution to what you want.

I use NVrefresh tool and normaly set all at 85hz.

click here Download this tool you only need to run it once every time you change your drivers.

tran1 09:39 14 Feb 03

You can alter the refresh rate VIA desktop properties but as soon as you load a game, the refresh rate will drop back down to the defualt 60 Hertz. If you play a lot of games for long periods, you will soon get the ocassional headaches and sore eyes.

I use a program called Refresh Force which will keep the refresh rate at specified rates.
click here

bow1 11:30 14 Feb 03

The problem is fixed with the latest nvidia drivers. It has a refresh rate overide in the advanced section.

Lead 11:41 14 Feb 03

It does, but they didn't work for me. Not saying it won't work for you, but I use NVrefresh tool and it works flawlessly.

« Ravin » 12:15 14 Feb 03

PSF

thanks for the link..been having problems with a flickering screen while playing games

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…