Win XP Recovery/partition problem

xclr8r 21:49 10 Aug 07

I would much appreciate any advice on a problem on a Compaq Presario C300A laptop I am having.

Last week my son could not boot up the laptop, it would only go to a prompt point and no further. I eventually got it up in safe mode and had to use the recovery discs to get it running properly. I lost all my internet connection settings, and thought I had lost all my documents as well. I can access my documents but have to go through, m Computer,Local Disc (C), documents and settings. Is there any way I can access these documents, by clicking start, my documents as previous?
I believe it is a problem with the rescue partition on the hard drive. Disc C is showing (free 47gb, total size 66.7gb). Disc D is called Presario_RP (D:) free 844 mb total size 7.72gb. Before this problem disc d was only showing as free 3.65gb.
Another problem is when Click a program to run, ie Internet Explorer, it takes a while before the program will respond and open. It also seems that the hard drive is busy for ages after booting the pc up.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Colin

Pamy 22:55 10 Aug 07

xclr8r, what operating sytem are you using? XP? Win 98 etc

xclr8r 22:59 10 Aug 07

XP media Centre edition, Ver 2002 service pack 2.
Celeron [email protected] 1gb of ram.

Pamy 23:01 10 Aug 07

Sorry I cannot help, I no nothing about Media Centre system. Other may so hang in there. Good luck

beeuuem 23:22 10 Aug 07

It sounds to me as if you have reinstalled Windows or created a new user.

Does any of the information click here
help?
You can try to get the My Documents link to work by right clicking on the Icon and trying the Default button or selecting Move and navigating to where your documents are now stored.

xclr8r 23:32 10 Aug 07

Cheers Pamy and beeuuen, I will try the advice given tomorrow, as it's getting late now.
Cheers,
Colin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…