Win XP re-install query

Shortstop 08:26 04 Sep 06

Re-Installing XP issue

I’m confused!

A little background: new motherboard installed by local PC store after I blew it up. My copy of Win XP Home an OEM & tied to motherboard so I paid a little extra for them to re-install windows – using my Certificate Of Authenticity number.

However, they had actually used another COA number and it became obvious that this was a pirate copy. I asked them to change this and they said that there was no need as the system was working anyhow. This weekend I had had enough of not being able to update Windows or download things like WMP11 [as Windows genuine Advantage was blocking these] and went back.

The shop is now under new management so I thought I had blown my chance – but, fortunately, the new owners had records of previous work and were able to independently confirm my story. Also, the new owners live about 2 streets away and kindly lent me Win XP Home to re-install Windows over the weekend – and there lies my ‘issue’.

I have reinstalled XP & now have a fully legal system – but when I tried to re-install my programs they were already in the c:\programs folder. Stranger still, sending the launch icon to the desktop as a shortcut will launch the program.

I thought that by formatting the drive I would lose the contents of the program folder and that the launch icons would not work as the data in the Registry has also begun ‘anew’. Please note that there is only one OS [the legal one] – what have I done wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

VoG II 09:07 04 Sep 06

It sounds like you have done a repair click here rather than a reinstall click here

terryf 09:08 04 Sep 06

Did you do a clean install or a re-install? A clean install will format your HD and clear everything out, a re-install just re-installs windows files and leaves registry and progs alone

Shortstop 09:13 04 Sep 06

I thought that I had done a full re-install with format, although with the benefit of hindsight, I don't recall a format. I didn't realise that you could 'repair' XP Pro to XP Home?

Anyhow, I'll leave it as it is.

Ticked as resolved.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac