Win Xp Pro - Selective Recovery

steve63 10:29 12 Jan 04

Have just successfully upgraded to Win XP Pro (no problems occuring as yet) & was just wondering if anyone knew if there is a selective recovery option as was available with my previous ME os. (My ME os was an OEM, this may have been an option just provided by its supplier).

The selective recovery on ME was a bonus, as individual directories/folders/files could be recoverd fairly easily if any were to become corrupted.

Have noticed that there is a repair option when XP pro CD is placed in cd drive, is this the same?

BigMoFoT 10:34 12 Jan 04

No there isn't - the system restore facility will restore to a specific date/time. To restore specific folders/files you will need to use something 3rd party such a Norton Go Back or Unerase

XP system restore is a big advance on ME but you should remember to create restore points each day or whatever time you think is best for you The only automatic restore points XP does is when you install updates or programs

alcudia 11:25 12 Jan 04

Sorry, but XP will create a new restore point every 24 hours if you leave the PC on, or when you restart if you turn it off.

Old restore points are deleted every 90 days.

Both default settings can be changed by editing HKeyLocalMachine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.

To change the interval for restore points edit the RPGlobalInterval value. To change the delete period change the RPLifeInterval value. All times are displayed in seconds.

steve63 09:47 13 Jan 04

Many Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac