Win XP Pro retail & Forgotten Password & Lost CD

Giggle n' Bits 23:18 01 Dec 03

Me helping friend, My Freind has forgotten password to type in the box on booting up XP Pro.

There are two user names on PC User 2 can gain access and get to the Desktop but is limited to changing settings due to not been the administrater.

User 2 who has gone off with another women & changed the password before leaving and he has the aurthority for being Computer Admin.

Is it possible with not having the CD (That also gone lost/missplaced in split) to get access and bypass the login password you get on boot up of XP pro.

I have my XP Home OEM CD but don't want to infringe any rights.

Can anyone help here please.

©®@$? 23:33 01 Dec 03
  ahales42 23:33 01 Dec 03

when "your friend" clicks on his name and is prompted for a password, there is an arrow for password hint. that should remind him.

ahales42 23:37 01 Dec 03

cr@$? Does this mean that if someone steals my comp they can gain access as admin?

©®@$? 23:38 01 Dec 03

no idea!

wouldn't of thought microsoft would of been that stupid, but it has been mentioned!

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:04 02 Dec 03

It takes about 30 seconds to break an administrators password on XP, 2000 and NT (it can be done with a W98CD in an emergency ;-)) ). There are also loads of freely available progs, such as *ahem* John the Ripper, that can do the job faster. It is also fairly easy to make yourself the administrator and bypass the main admin...*cough* safe mode *cough*. All this info is freely available on the internet so it is not like I'm selling the family silver. ;-))

If people are paranoid about others seeing the drivel that comprises the bulk of info on home computers, then they should at least know this.

G

Giggle n' Bits 00:12 02 Dec 03

Google site by Safe mode Boot & F8 etc.
The HINT option didn't work and just re
minded me to type in Upper or Lower Case letter.s

GANDALF <|:-)> U Star, this sounds promising, going now to try it, back later.

Giggle n' Bits 00:26 02 Dec 03

& ©®@$? Tried the Safe mode option as via Google link and it still asks for password when hitting enter.

powerless 00:29 02 Dec 03

Hit enter again.

Giggle n' Bits 00:31 02 Dec 03

I have hit Enter over and over and it just does nothing after 3 + Enters. Thanks for your Call.

leo49 00:36 02 Dec 03

Easiest way is to boot up with a Windows 2K disk and then you can do anything you like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…