win xp pro not launching correctly

Esso43 12:25 07 Feb 06

I have a laptop which upon a reboot this morning win xp has lauched but only to the wall paper.

Nothing else comes up, there is no windows bar or desktop icons.

Tried launching in safe mode and it appears to be doing the same thing only without the wallpaper.

I have been tempted by the restore to last known good point option but as I have no idea when this was I am a little nervous of doing this.

Any suggestions?

SANTOS7 12:30 07 Feb 06

The last known good configuration is determined by auto checkpoints that your PC makes use that if you have not tried a normal system restore
click here

Stuartli 13:20 07 Feb 06

Reboot your computer and on the opening page press F8 until you bring up a DOS page with a menu choice.

You should choose Last Known Good Configuration>Enter.

Hopefully this will restore your system to a point where it will boot up normally.

Esso43 15:21 07 Feb 06

Thanks for directions.

I have tried restoring from last good point no change any other ideas?

SANTOS7 15:32 07 Feb 06

click here
itmay be related to this info comes from here
click here
a thread relating to the same prob you have

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 07 Feb 06

Taskbar missing
click here

Where did my icons go?
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons
click here

woodchip 16:15 07 Feb 06

Start in safe mode, and just do a Restore with System Restore the Restore points are in BOLD, Start with the Last one made

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…