Win XP Pro No dial tone.

Mark10 20:31 28 Nov 03

Hi all,
I have a PII, 350mhz with 2 hard drives and am dual booting. One drive has win me and the other is new with XP pro. When you boot in win me everything is fine. When you boot in xp pro you get a click from the modem and a No dial tone error message. The modem is a PCTEL789t hsp k56. I've downloaded and tried every driver I can find but get the same problem everytime. I have checked the settings and ports between the two and they are the same. I'm begining to think the modem in not xp compatible as it works fine in win me. Anybody any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 20:44 28 Nov 03

Very possible that it is not compatible; have you tried win2k drivers?

there is a microsoft signed win XP driver for your modem, it should function fine under XP.

you could try re-instaling it then trying again , the modem will work with the standard drivers that XP pro has then if you visit windows update you will be offered the updated driver.

is the modem showing up properly with no warning flags in device manager?

Mark10 15:00 29 Nov 03

Thanks all,
Yes i have tried win2k drivers and NT, I've tried everything. I have reinstalled a couple of times with the same result. Unfortunately i cant get online to get into windows update except in win me which means win update gives me win me updates!! Looks line a new modem may be the answer?

Mark10 16:43 08 Feb 04

Hello all, Treated myself to a new modem and logged on first time in XP. My old modem must be incompatible. Now deleted Me and using XP only. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…