Win XP Pro install goes belly-up...

dmsum 00:13 16 Feb 04

Query from a pitifully computer-illiterate user. Tried to upgrade Win 2000 to Win XP Pro. I chose the 'upograde' option as this appeared to keep my settings, files etc intact. Install goes well until it restarts for the last time, when it cycles through reboots endlessly. No idea what to do now! Safe mode doesn't work. No option (it appears) to revert to my old OS. I have used the floppy disc startup discs (all six of them) to try, but it won't let me update, only perform a clean install. Any ideas before I give up and reformat the hard drive (if I can find out how...)

Indigo 1 00:39 16 Feb 04

Have you tried re-setting the BIOS to "Boot from CD ROM" ? Then installing the XP CD and re-booting ?

pc moron 00:40 16 Feb 04

Is this any help? click here

Indigo 1 00:44 16 Feb 04

You beat me to it !

LastChip 01:50 16 Feb 04

You could try this click here or although not strictly W2K click here or have you anything like this click here or maybe even this is relevant click here

So you can see, XP is not the panacea that some would have you believe, but I hope one of the links may help you. There are hundreds of possibilites on the Microsoft Help and Support site, so it may also be worth trying a search of your own, particularly if you are getting a specific error message.

Best of luck.

dmsum 08:32 16 Feb 04

Thanks. Had to go to bed or might have done something I later regretted! Problem is after the initial BIOS screen, I get the briefest of 'flashes' of a blue screen (of death?), far too quick to read, and then the computer reboots again. I can get to the command prompt using floppy discs - but there is no option (it appears) to repair this installation and keep my old files. I feel a format coming on...I do hope I've backed up ALL the files I wanted ( I know, I know - but I was falsely reassured by the blurb suggesting that none of my files or settings would be changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…