WIn XP Pro, IE6 & Acrobat 7

onthecauseway 16:05 02 Nov 05

The department have recently purchased a number of new Dell PC's running XP Pro and IE6. On 2 of the computers they will not open pdf pages from IE where on other computers, from the same web site no problem. Speaking to head office IT department they suggest an issue with Acrobat and IE. Have reinstalled both IE and Acrobat. Made no difference. Any suggestions.

Belatucadrus 16:11 02 Nov 05

Try opening Acrobat reader 7 then Edit/Preferences/Internet and make sure "Display PDF in browser" is ticked.

Stuartli 16:21 02 Nov 05

Even better, download the excellent and much smaller PDF Reader by Foxit at:

click here

onthecauseway 16:28 02 Nov 05

Checked this and the box is already ticked. Could try another reader but it works on other machines so I would rather resolve the problem with the current configuration.

onthecauseway 08:51 08 Nov 05

Stuartli, tried another reader as you suggested but it made no difference. Then tried Mozilla Firefox and this works. Suggests problem lies with IE6. Could stick with FF but the company Intranet site isn't written with FF/Netscape in mind and doesn't display the menus correctly. I really want to run WinXP with IE6 and Acrobat7.

Doire_Bhoy 09:29 08 Nov 05

Even though you have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, if you are using some versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may get a blank screen in your browser window after you click to retrieve PDF Forms from some applications. This is a known bug between the two software products. To fix the bug and properly display the form, you will need to make a simple adjustment in your Acrobat Reader settings. Here are the steps:

Minimize your browser then Open your Acrobat Reader software
At the main menu, make these selections:
FILE, PREFERENCES, GENERAL
The GENERAL PREFERENCES dialog box will pop up on your screen. In the OPTIONS section at the lower part of the box, UNcheck the box marked WEB BROWSER INTEGRATION.
Click OK.
Close the Acrobat Reader and return to your browser.
Return to the form retrieval application. Now when you click the button to retrieve the form, the form will display in your Acrobat Reader outside of your browser.

onthecauseway 09:39 08 Nov 05

Tried this, although the options were slightly different to your instructions. From EDIT, PREFERENCES, INTERNET I unchecked DISPLAY PDF IN BROWSER. That seemed the closest option to yours. Still doesn't work.
The web site I am trying to access is click here. I get the list of pdf docs but can not open them

Doire_Bhoy 09:45 08 Nov 05

Try and save the PDF documents onto the PC's hard drive then open them with Adobe Reader.

Dont try and open them directly from the website

johnnyrocker 09:49 08 Nov 05

i have wandered all round the site and cant find any pdf's to try and open?

johnny.

onthecauseway 09:50 08 Nov 05

Already tried that with no success. The puzzle is that it works on 5 of the new computers but fails on 3. All computers bought at the same time with identical (?) setups.

onthecauseway 09:52 08 Nov 05

Johnnyrocker

click on one of the menu items that appears, example - Typical Arrangements. A list of pdf's should appear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…