Win XP Pro Fails To Boot?

WOLF2020 13:44 28 May 04

I'm running win XP Pro and have just done a complete re-format, the problem is that when I shut down my pc it won't reboot immediately(I don't mean by using the restart option as this works). The only way that I can get up and running again is to isolate all power to the pc for an hour or 2 and then repower up and the pc boots immediately. If I try to start up without doing this the screen just remains blank, there are no bleeps from the pc or anything. Everything loaded correctly at the setup stage after reformatting but I can't seem to get rid of this problem.

Fruit Bat 16:42 28 May 04

Try checking your power management settings both in BIOS and windows control panel.

pic-ed 17:47 28 May 04

I had a similar situation with my Medion Pentium 4. It would start, show the Pentium 4 logo and stop dead. Nothing I did would allow me to shut down or move forward.

Eventually Medion helpline came up with this:

Switch off all power, if neccessary unplug the mains cable from the back of the machine (don't just try to switch it off on the normal power button on the front of the machine. When all power source is disconnected, press and HOLD FOR A FULL MINUTE the power button on the front of the machine. Then realease this button, plug the power cable back in then push the button again to start the machine as usual.

To my amazement it worked! There has been no recurrence of the problem. Seems a bit like voodoo! But it worked.

Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…