Win XP Pro Automated system recovery

anchor 14:25 28 Nov 04

I have done a full backup, using the WinXP backup wizard, to an external USB/firewire drive; ("all information on this computer" was selected). The programme also made a floppy "ASR recovery disk".

Should the worst happen, how do I restore everything back to as it was on the day the backup was made?.

Irishman 16:09 28 Nov 04

I have never found the Backup wizard on XP to be much use so I use click here and copy the whole drive onto another which is bootable. If anything goes wrong with my original drive I simply swap master and slave and carry on as normal.

Not the answer to your question of course but if you find that XP's backup isn't to your liking give this a go.

anchor 19:30 28 Nov 04

It seems that nobody has used the Win-XP Pro backup.

whybe 20:25 28 Nov 04

I have used the XP pro recovery/backup a number of times although not via the ASR route. Should the worst happen my understanding is that you start your PC and after POST (power on self test) often indicated by one beep you press F8. This will bring up a set of options. Should you choose a recovery option, whilst booting up in this mode you are give the option of invoking ASR by pressing F6 option scrolls along the bottom of the screen, then follow the on screen instructions.

anchor 09:45 29 Nov 04

Thank you for your reply. As you have used it a few times, I assume that you have found it satisfactory.

I would like to be sure that my external USB/firewire drive be recognised at that stage?.

anchor 16:19 29 Nov 04

Has anyone an answer concerning the recognition of the external drive?.

anchor 09:06 30 Nov 04

Apparently not.

ventanas 09:18 30 Nov 04

I do use this facility, but backup to a second hard drive. The only instruction my (very thick) book on XP gives for recovery is to boot with the XP CD and press F2 to run ASR when prompted. Then follow the prompts. Not very helpful I agree, but the info for creating the backup does state that a tape drive can be used. I would assume that this extends to other removeable media.

I would try booting with the XP disc and see what options you get. Hopefully if the drive is connected it will be detected.

anchor 09:36 30 Nov 04

Muchas Gracias ventanas.

I will try it.

ventanas 11:03 30 Nov 04

de nada.

anchor 16:01 02 Dec 04

Just found this; it explains the process step by step:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac