Win XP Power Management Problems - Help Please!

FCD 11:40 12 Mar 04

I have run a dual boot Win 98/XP system for 18 months with no problems. Yesterday, the system froze several times and I had to manually reset each time. I suspect the freeze was due to a loose card - once I reset them all, this probelm disappeared. But I found that my XP power management had lost hibernate and standby modes - there was no hibernate tab in the dialogue box and no options for setting time to hibernate etc.

Since then I have formatted the XP partition and re-installed XP with no change - no hibernate function. I then looked at my Mobo which appeared to have reverted to an earlier BIOS version - therefore I have flashed the BIOS to the latest that I had [which has provided hibernate etc for the last 18 months] but again no change. Power management still shows no hibernate tab or functions. Other than this the Mobo appears to be all ok so very grateful for any help or advice on what to try next.

FCD 11:47 12 Mar 04

I do have ACPI enabled in the BIOS. Mobo is a Jetway 867AS.

anon1 13:02 12 Mar 04

I found this in the help section of windows xp and its on your computer too.
To automatically put your computer into hibernation
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open Power Options in Control Panel.
Click the Hibernate tab, select the Enable hibernate support check box, and then click Apply.
If the Hibernate tab is unavailable, your computer does not support this feature.

Click the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management support, and then click Apply.
The APM tab is unavailable on ACPI-compliant computers. ACPI automatically enables Advanced Power Management, which disables the APM tab.

Click the Power Schemes tab, and then select a time period in System hibernates. Your computer hibernates after it has been idle for the specified amount of time.
Notes

To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.
When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk, and your computer is switched off. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.
To put your computer into hibernation, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support this option.
Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only the options that you can control.

anon1 13:03 12 Mar 04

so looks like the acpi setting is stopping you

FCD 17:09 12 Mar 04

Thanks all - I had checked the XP help but it didn't! The MS KB has put me in the right direction - after a new install, you have to update all your drivers to get Power Management to work. I have it fixed now although I still do not know why it failed in the first place!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…