//some 3rd party need geo

Win XP - MS Works 8 - Office 97 - Conflict.?

Whaty 13:01 29 Mar 05

I am working on a new computer pre-loaded with Win XP and MS Works 8, I have installed Office 97.

All appears fine except that I cannot use 'Options' in Excel. When trying to do so I get a message to say something is wrong and Excel closes. 'Options' works fine in Word and PowerPoint.

I'm guessing the problem is a conflict between MS Word and Office (or more precisely, Excel).

Does anyone have any ideas how I may get around this problem without having to uninstall MS Works.?

Thanks in advance, Terry

PsiFox 13:44 29 Mar 05

Office 97 is not fully compatible with XP.

There can be macro problems and access has difficulty too.

PsiFox

GroupFC 14:30 29 Mar 05

Are you sure? - I've not had any problems for the past two years (until recently but that is more to do with me uninstalling and then re-installing office 97 to try and clear this problem click here.

Whaty, sorry don't know the answer to your problem!

Whaty 20:19 29 Mar 05

Bump

Graham ® 20:56 29 Mar 05

I have Works 6 and Office 97 - no conflicts. What is the error message? Any entry for it in Event Viewer?

Any conflicts between two Microsoft programs would be rare and well publicized.

Whaty 12:23 30 Mar 05

Unfortunately I haven't got the computer with me but... when I select Tools, Options in Excel 97 a message appears simply saying there is a problem and the program will close. You can view technical data but there is reams of information to scroll through... I'm sorry I can't be more specific but there isn't anything to go on. The idea that it is a conflict is just my gut feeling.

Whaty 07:47 31 Mar 05

Sorted, I found an article on the MS Knowledgebase which pointed me in the right direction.

It was simply that the default file location path was too long (there is a limit of 53 characters apparently).

Ironically I found the problem when I tried to enter the Options screen to re-set the default file location..!

Anyway, tweaking a couple of the Folder names through explorer allowed me to then open Options in Excel and set the default file location as I wanted.

Regards,
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…