Win XP and MS Access

Beth 19:51 17 May 04

We've upgraded the office PC and I've been transferring files from the old one. When I try to open an Access database on the new machine I get a message saying that the file could contain malicious code. Well, it doesn't. It's just a well-used list of names and addresses. It opens OK eventually, but can anyone tell me what this message is about and how I can stop it from appearing?

We've gone from Win98SE and Office 2002 to XP and Office 2003.

piker1 21:43 17 May 04

Beth
I had a similar problem going from W2K to XP. Have you tried the Microsoft Knowledgebase, I found the answer to my particular problem.

Beth 15:48 18 May 04

Thanks Piker1. We'll give it a try. We've only just discovered how to swap over our ISP settings and couldn't get online at the office so I thought I'd try this forum from home. As you say, the Knowledgebase should provide the answer.
Thanks again.

TomJerry 15:56 18 May 04

The functions of Office Program are extended using Marco or VB Script. So a lot of business documents use speical features developed using VB etc. VB script are powerful which good and also bad (depend on who develop them).

2003 have ability to scan any Marco or VB script to check any virus when you start the program. You can change the security level of this ability or, even totally turn it off. If you are 100% certain scripts in your documents are safe, you can turn macro scan off to speed up the program starting.

mdshamilton 15:57 18 May 04

So, you can open the Access file. Have you then saved it as the latest version of Access (the one you're using now) or does it continue to default to Access 98?

Beth 18:04 19 May 04

TomJerry
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Why should 2003 check for viruses when we already have an up-to-date functioning virus checker? Should I have scanned these DB before I imported them into the new programme?

mdshamilton
The files have been imported from a backup CD and saved in the new version.

Chris the Ancient 19:54 19 May 04

Have a read of the article at M$ about macro security.

http: // click here /office/ork/2003/seven/ch23/SecA02.htm

As you can see, you can allow macros in the database to be set to accept any macros associated with the database without causing panic messages.

HTH

Chris

Chris the Ancient 20:05 19 May 04

try this - but without all the space I put in to try and make the link work!

http: / / www. microsoft .com /office /ork /2003 /seven /ch23 /SecA02.htm

TomJerry 20:45 19 May 04

about Macro security. Virus detection do not normally scan inside a office document, so Office 2003 want to add this extra secuirity.

When you start Word 2003, watch left bottom corner, it indicates the procegress of virus scan.

Chris the Ancient 21:44 19 May 04

I'm not 100% sure you've got the logic the correct way round!

For quite a while, in the early days, macros written in visual basic and attached to an Office file was a way of getting a virus (rather sneakily) into a computer. So virus checkers needed to scan incoming documents to see if there were any macros with vb scripts attached to them. These macro scripts are then flagged by the checker as a potential source of infection.

Because, within trusted zones, constant warnings from virus checkers that a document had a vb macro attached became a nuisance, a system was developed that allowed the end user to change that reporting to allow for known macros etc. to be flagged as safe. This is the system - along with a few other twiddly bits - the MS Office now uses.

Unless a higher authority than me knows better, of course!

Beth 19:20 20 May 04

That seems to be the answer. I'll have a look round when I get back to the office tomorrow and check what's going on with the settings.

It was just a bit scary to be presented with the 'possible malicious code' thing!!

Beth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…