Win XP major breakdown. Any thoughts?

Alf58 20:47 07 Sep 04

Was just about to burn a CD in Nero (at stage of inserting blank media) when whole system crashed then attempted to reboot itself but got as far as "Cannot find NTDLDR press Ctrl, alt, del".

Pressing Ctrl alt del simply rebooted back to the same error message. Attempted repair using Win Xp CD supplied with machine but repair didnt work: pressing "r" met with no action. I tried (fool that I am) to allow Windows to reinstall but after examining C drive then restarting it said Windows could not start because (cant quite recall) some Config Sys files were missing. So the story ends. I suspect I may have allowed My boot sector to be reformatted during the failed attempt at at reinstalling Windows.

A mess? You bet. Maybe you have no solutions but does anybody have any ideas why on Earth this failure happened?
I
had installed Xp Service pack 2 last week and it seemed ok. I installed BT Broadband (Speed touch external modem) last Friday and I installed the very latest Nero burning software. Anyone think the fact I was in process of Cd burning with nero is significant? I am so fed up i cant tell you. Machine is a Medion Pc only 2 years old, 120 gig hd 2.6 Pentium processor.

stalion 21:00 07 Sep 04

I believe there is an update you have to get for nero to stop incompatability with sp2 so this is probably the cause of your problem.Sorry do not know what to advise for the best so will leave to someone else

stalion 21:40 07 Sep 04

^^

Alf58 21:45 07 Sep 04

Thanks for your reply. I didnt know about Nero patch. I downloaded the very latest Nero on Saturday and Monday night was first time I used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…