Win XP License Key

The Teacher 22:04 PM 06 Jul 11

I need to do a reinstall of Win XP Pro but although I have the original disk I cannot remember where I put the license key, and don't have the original box.

Is there anywhere on the disk where the license key is stored so that I can retrieve it?

Thanks

The Teacher

mrwoowoo 22:13 PM 06 Jul 11

On windows 7 now. But i think if you went to contol panel and then system, you would find it there.

mrwoowoo 22:16 PM 06 Jul 11

Here's some free xp serial key retrieval programmes you could try if i'm wrong. (O:!

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/topkeyfinder.htm

ventanas 22:17 PM 06 Jul 11

Download SIW

link text

Look under Licences

mrwoowoo 22:17 PM 06 Jul 11
  preston 23:12 PM 06 Jul 11

If the re-install is on the original computer, their should be a sticker on the side of the computer with the key on it.

Strawballs 02:36 AM 07 Jul 11

Preston, not if it was a retail version or an OEM bought with a system and installed by the owner.

The Teacher 09:01 AM 07 Jul 11

It is not going onto the original PC, that gave up the ghost ages ago, it is going to go onto a laptop that currently has Win 2000 on it.

I have had a look at the various programmes mentioned above and they seem to be OK if going onto the original PC, i.e key retrieval from the Registry, but not if key lost and install going onto a different machine.

The Teacher

birdface 09:19 AM 07 Jul 11

It is not going onto the original PC, that gave up the ghost ages ago.

Maybe if you still have the hard drive for it you may still be able to extract the keycode for it from that.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites