Win XP keeps rebooting before loading O/S

whitehall 17:22 07 May 04

I suspect I have acquired a worm on one of my computers, not this one!, I was using the internet, a message came up for a short time telling me that my computer was going to shut down. It did shut down and now even if I try and load into safe mode, it gets to the point of saying something like "loading Windows XP" and then reboots.
I have a fire wall and virus protection which was last updated a couple of days ago, obviously not recent enough.
Any suggestions please as to how at least I can boot in to do something about it.
Many thanks
Sharon

VoG II 17:32 07 May 04
  whitehall 18:34 07 May 04

Thank you for that, I am at least getting the Windows logon screen now, but my compter goes no further and continues to reboot, around and around and around.
Sharon

VoG II 18:37 07 May 04
  Epirb406 18:55 07 May 04

Hit F5 whilst PC is booting and select start with last known working configuration...worked for me earlier today with a similar problem on win xp pro.

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 18:56 07 May 04

Then go worm hunting!

whitehall 21:26 07 May 04

Thank you to all for your responses. They led me in the end to having to carry out a repair re-installation of Win XP in the hope that all data was still accessible - it was!
Many thanks
Sharon

whitehall 21:26 07 May 04

Thank you to all for your responses. They led me in the end to having to carry out a repair re-installation of Win XP in the hope that all data was still accessible - it was!
Many thanks
Sharon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac