win xp installing

pcill 12:53 09 Feb 09

Hi
I have been given an old computer which has windows 98 se on it.I have purchased a copy of windows xp and would like to install this.Is it just a case of putting the installation disc in and this will take over from win 98 or do i have to remove win 98 first ?? (I am using my wifes work laptop to send this ) all help greatfully taken.

canarieslover 14:24 09 Feb 09

If its that old it may not take kindly to trying to run XP. Post the specifications first and then we can advise. Processor speed and memory installed will be needed.

Terry Brown 15:31 09 Feb 09

You can load the XP on top of win 98, the system will give the option to save your win 98 settings in case you want to revert, however if your computer has anthing under a 1500 chip (Athlon or Microsoft)and at least 500 mb of memory, you will very disappointed in the results.
Terry

pcill 16:11 09 Feb 09

Heres the info duron 900 mem 500rc133 40g hd cdrom 53x modem sis 630 graphics sis 630
for your info i want to completely remove win 98 and install xp so will I get this option ???? as for performance its not important.

canarieslover 16:41 09 Feb 09

You should get the option to format hard drive before installing. This will wipe hard drive before installing XP. Computer will really struggle to run it though.

Diemmess 17:59 09 Feb 09

The processor won't be lightning but will work.

It really will help to double the RAM to 1Gb.....
.....BUT Windows 98SE cannot cope with more than 500K RAM.

It is just possible that your motherboard will not accept >500 too!

I suggest:
1) Check if you can that the mobo will accept more than 500k.
2) Buy the extra RAM but don't fit it until you have installed XP.

Finally as others have hinted, a clean install of XP after formatting (all controlled by your XP CD) booting with the CD in the slot.

Good luck.

DieSse 23:37 09 Feb 09

You can run XP reasonably on that specification, despite what the naysayers tell you. Not great - but reasonably.

What will help is to set it for best performance, in the :-

Control Panel - System - Advanced tab - see the Performance section.

Also you'll need an AV with the lightest touch. For a free one Avira seems good in these circumstances.

DieSse 23:48 09 Feb 09

If the system has an AGP slot for a graphics card - you might be able to find a really cheap one which will improve things - be faster, and free up a bit more RAM for the system,

Loads of really cheap ones on ebay for a fiver or so - which would make a difference.
click here

Or ask locally for a cheap second hand one.

pcill 18:08 10 Feb 09

Well installed the xp disc yesterday.
Now i have lost sound from the speakers clicking on control panel sounds and audio devices it says 'no audio device' ????? the volume slider switch is greyed out and the volume icon on the taskbar has gone ant ideas please ??.

pcill 18:08 10 Feb 09

Well installed the xp disc yesterday.
Now i have lost sound from the speakers clicking on control panel sounds and audio devices it says 'no audio device' ????? the volume slider switch is greyed out and the volume icon on the taskbar has gone ant ideas please ??.

User-1229748 18:37 10 Feb 09

go to the pc manufacturers site and download the drivers,by the way i can highly recommend avira free as being light on system resources.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…