win xp install problems

01chris 20:52 26 Mar 05

i have been trying to install xp pro on a windows 98 machine, it is fine until it asks if i want to check for updates, since the computer has no internet connection i tell it not to, then it crashes. there is nothing i can do apart from turn it off then back on again, can anyone shed any light on this. and i would like to avoid installing it by booting from the cd if possible

thanks

howard60 07:42 27 Mar 05

are you letting it do it as an update? if so do not - click on the list and do a clean install.

01chris 11:06 27 Mar 05

i am not letting it do an update but if i do a clean install it will format the hard disc and i will lose everything on it wont I?

howard60 21:28 27 Mar 05

no it should just install windows over the existing op sys - make sure you back up all important data before doing anything though.

If you simply install XP over the top of 98 you will end up with a mess. ( In my opinion)

Back up all your data.

Check for updated drivers for ALL your hard ware. Burn these to CD. Take careful note of all the devices listed in device manager. Write them down or get BELARC and print out the results. Check with all the manufacturers websites for compatability with XP.

Drivers: Motherboard, Sound, Graphics, Modem.

Check out how much RAM you have. Minimum 256 - 512MB much better.

Then do a format to NTFS and clean install XP.

lotvic 02:24 28 Mar 05

How to prepare to upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP is explained in Q316639

click here;en-us;316639

hope this helps

lotvic 02:28 28 Mar 05

sorry,

click here

and enter Q316639 in the search box

(I will get the hang of this - eventually)

01chris 14:27 28 Mar 05

but if i format to ntfs i will lose everything on the hard disc wont I?

User-312386 14:43 28 Mar 05

what are your system specs?

01chris 14:50 28 Mar 05

i dont know i will have to find out and get back to you, all i know now is it is quite old

lotvic 15:05 28 Mar 05

"but if i format to ntfs i will lose everything on the hard disc wont I? "

Yes. If you format the whole h/drive c: everything is wiped on c:

Is your h/drive partitioned? If so then you can save/move your data and files to your d: or e: if you have those partitions on your hard drive. Then you can just format c: and install XP there.

XP can work with both Fat32 and ntfs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…