win xp insists that I have extra dvd drives

Smokeyone 09:25 31 Oct 05

Could someone advise please how to get rid of dvd drives that do not exist. I suddenly seem to have removeable disk G, H, I & J.
I do have have dvd writer E & dvd rom F but where have all the rest come from.
Thanks very much

PaulB2005 09:26 31 Oct 05

Does your printer or PC have card slots?

LivEviL 10:13 31 Oct 05

the removable drives are where u have a printer or another device attached where u have card slots like paulB2005 said! also u may have had a mp3 player or a memory stick attached and didnt remover it properly! take everything that is attached to ur computer u dont need to run it and restart see if there gone that will be y!

Smokeyone 11:56 31 Oct 05

Thanks for the help but I have only a printer & mouse connected to the pc. Disconnected the printer & re started but the extra drives are still there.

Diodorus Siculus 11:58 31 Oct 05

What happnes if you remove them via the device manager and reboot?

Do you have any sort of virtual CD software / emaulators / cd burning software installed?

€dstowe 13:07 31 Oct 05

If they aren't causing a problem, I suggest that you leave well alone.

You can cause many difficulties by unnecesary "tweaking" of a computer so if, as I assume, these phantom drives are only seen in My Computer and similar places, forget about them.

Smokeyone 14:28 31 Oct 05

Would you believe me if I said they are not listed under device manager - only the correct ones.
Also I do have cd burning software installed but it came with the pc and is not a fresh installation.

Splork 14:33 31 Oct 05

Boot in safe mode and see if there are any duplicated entries in Device Manager. You can `hide` the drives with TweakUI. What description does Windows give if you right click the drive/s in question and select Properties?

Smokeyone 15:17 31 Oct 05

Properties says removeable disk, file system unknown with 0 bytes for everything else

Splork 15:28 31 Oct 05

That happens if a multiple format card reader is plugged in via USB, but they usually disappear when it's unplugged. Is `Show Hidden Devices` checked in Device Manager/View?

Iron Maiden 20:32 31 Oct 05

try this

go to computer management click on removable storage.
expand libraries if extra drives show just delete them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now