Win XP Home – re-install error

zed650 08:16 30 Aug 04

Win XP Home – re-install error
Hi all,

Over the weekend I tried to re-install Win XP on my computer, Evesham, AMD 2100xp, twin 80GB HDD, 512 Ram, ATI (AIW)

The re-install gets to 13 minutes remaining, where it is ‘Registering Components’ then an error message appears.

“Unregmp2.exe – Entry Point Not Found The Procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL.”

I then have to press the reset button for the computer to re-boot.

I pressed f8 to get into a boot up-screen and have tried all the available choices i.e safe mode , last known working… etc. but to no avail.

Before I go any further and really screw things up I would like some help please.

User-312386 08:21 30 Aug 04

ensure that there are no peripheral devices (printer etc etc) connected whilst re-installing

Did you carry out a Format? If so did you do a full format?

Also ensure the disc is clean

zed650 14:03 30 Aug 04

Thanks madboy33,

I did leave everything connected so I'll remove my printer etc. and try again.

I didn't format the drive and now I can't access it as the re-install resumes at 39 minutes to go then stops at 13 minutes to go.

I'll also give the disk a wee wipe but it's never been used before! (wish I had't used it this time)

zed650 19:49 30 Aug 04

Just removed all devices ('cept power,k'board,mouse) and tried again, but no luck.

Please help me before I start to open the case!

Graham ® 20:24 30 Aug 04

Try this click here

zed650 20:26 30 Aug 04

It's working!

But suprise suprise has a virus.

It started to work all by itself! I left it running while I necked an amber and it greeted me with a new splash screen. I followed the instuctions and it rebooted into windows. everything seemed fine when it started but being the not very trusting person when it comes to 'puters I ran AVG. Within two secs it found a virus 'backdoor.gobot.t...@' could this have been the cause of all my problems?

once I rid the machine of this litle germ what are the next best steps?

zed650 20:35 30 Aug 04

Thanks Graham,

I'll mark his as resolved and see what else i can come up with once AVG has done its stuff!

Cheers Guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…