Win XP Home Physical M emory

Quilljar 15:37 21 Oct 06

I have a blue screen on WinXP Home saying I need more physycal memory. It has been OK for four years what can I do to rememdy this?
TIA

woodchip 15:40 21 Oct 06

Add some more, How much do you have? as all my comps only have 512 on each

ed-0 15:57 21 Oct 06

As woodchip above,

afternoon woodchip;-)

Quilljar

if you give the computer a three finger salute e.g. control +alt +delete

and open windows task manager.

Look under performance > physical memory (K), what are the settings.

Also do you know what size your virtual memory ( paging file ) is?

woodchip 16:17 21 Oct 06

Hi ed-0 just got out of the shower and thinking of going down stairs with Laptop. Keep a look out

terryf 16:19 21 Oct 06

If you can afford it, put as much memory as you can in up to a total of 3GB. Winxp won't see or use any more. Get and/or instal pairs of memory banks i.e 2x512 or 2x256 or 2x1mb or 2x512 + 2x1mb. Dont understand why it has been ok but you could try switch off, take off cover, touch metal case then remove/replace the memory. This will tend to overcome any slight resistance that has built up on the contacts over the years.

ed-0 16:29 21 Oct 06

Lying in bed at the moment and being waited on hand and foot.:-)

I went for my usual run this morning, got back and the cats were moaning for a feed as the do. Bent down to feed them, then crack when my back. have been told to get to bed and not move, as I'm needed tommorow for a day out in York.

So I'm here early being a pest;-)

Quilljar

Also worth checking is the available space on your hard drive. Open my computer and right click the C drive. What is the used space and the free space.

Quilljar 18:22 21 Oct 06

but I can't understand it either, and I am not about to try putting more RAM into someone else's laptop...

This guy has all but destroyed his laptop with unprotected surfing (yeah?) and now this...

sean-278262 21:29 21 Oct 06

Reinstall windows if the computer is that bad. It could just be that there is so much junk on it that it is now a plastic and metal box.

gudgulf 21:30 21 Oct 06

How much space is left free on the hard drive?

AndySD 21:35 21 Oct 06

Run an antispyware program and an up to date antivirus scan the go Start then Run abd type in

msconfig

click OK then go to startup tab using this site click here untick any not required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now