Win XP, Home or Pro?

FeeN 17:44 19 Apr 06

Hi all.

Like many people, im currently using a not so legal version of Win XP pro and ive decided to do the right thing and purchase a genuine copy.

What i would like to know is what are the main differences between XP and Home.
The main things im not sure about is networking, can you network printers, internet etc on XP Home?

Also is XP Home as accessible as XP Pro I.E, 'in-depth' options such as admin tools, formating etc.

Thanks

VoG II 18:46 19 Apr 06
  Jackcoms 18:46 19 Apr 06

"Like many people im currently using a not so legal version"

Really? What makes you think that?

click here and look under 'Windows Editions' at the left-hand side.

keith-236134 19:20 19 Apr 06

My XP came with my computer but most people I know use pirate copies. That's life im afraid.

FeeN 19:52 19 Apr 06

"My XP came with my computer but most people I know use pirate copies. That's life im afraid."

Well, 1 less naughty boy. Think i'll go with XP Home, doesnt seem to be that much difference apart from remote desktop features.

Thanks all

keith-236134 20:09 19 Apr 06

Not alot of differance between the two, none that really stand out. One less naughty boy? to hear some of these people you would think they had wings and a halo.

the3musketeers 23:52 19 Apr 06

Well, Home as suggested is more for home computers, it is user face friendly and has a start-up guide, which will tell you about windows XP. Pro, is more for a bussiness and or network, it has advanced security options and is more stable for bigger, more demanding tasks. My personal prefrence is niether, I like using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, it is closer to Home in my opinion, but packed full of extra media options, and is great for more of those music, movie and image lovers out there, I am also told it is been made to run slightly smoother with image, video and music creation and editing software, but have been only told-I am nto sure if it's fact. And as always, it will come with SP2. By the way, in case you didn't know, XP means Experience. Hope that helped make things slightly clearer, go with the edition which best suits your needs.

keith-236134 08:35 20 Apr 06

My neighbour uses Linux and that looks alot better then XP, he says it's faster and easier to use.

the3musketeers 11:59 20 Apr 06

Linux is a standard, but is not just one operating system. Alot of people fall into the trap of thinking that. Different companies create different versions of that standard, the most popular is Red Hat (but I am not saying it is the best). Linux, in my opinion even beats Mac OS, and I hold that very highly, however, hairyplums, this is a website and forum for Windows, not any Mac or Linux OS. If, Feen, you are intrigued by Linux and would like to know more than go click here However,I believe you will have to either buy a PC and uninstall Windows on it, and install Linux on it, OR, what I suggest more is, that you build yourself a machine to cater for Linux, then buy a copy of which ever Linux OS suits you best, then install it. Oh, just to mention, Linux, although easier to use, is only that if it is the first OS you have picked up, for someone who has used Windows all his life might find it a learning curve, but it is well worth it, beats Windows by far, I didn't mention this as this is a website for Windows and I now might get a few Windows lovers on my back...

the3musketeers 12:03 20 Apr 06

Oh, sorry. Forgot to mention, that is a link to the Red Hat Linux, if you would like more links to the Gentoo and Debian versions, just say.

keith-236134 13:01 20 Apr 06

I thought this was a forum and website for advice on PC's, hence the name PC Advisor and not Windows Advisor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…