Win XP home on new notebook

kevvyb 09:04 14 Dec 04

WinXp home on new notebook.

Have repartitioned the HD, reconfigured machine, added required software and got wireless network and file and printer sharing up and running (the latter with a lot of help from this forum), I now find that said notebook has started to take up to 5 minutes to move to logon screen from the XP splash screen.

Last night I checked HD for defragmentation and sure enough I had forgotten to defragment after all these changes. The HD was heavily defragmented. Machine up an running again having had to boot into last known good config to access the defragger.

Everything else then seemed fine but this morning had similar boot up delay. Did get in though and did not have to boot into a last know good config.

Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

I originally added two more partitions (with Partition Magic) to the hard drive so config is:
C (original) boot 8Gb
D reserved by XP for DVDRW drive
E reserved by XP for USB flash drives
F (new) for programs 5Gb
G (new) for data 42Gb

The pagefile is still on C and is set at the default (?) 1536 - 3072 Gb. IS this too large and should I create a dedicated partition for the pagefile. Have a notion that this will help reduce defragmentation on the boot drive.

Having said that, the drive was not too badly defragged this morning when I still experienced the boot up delay as described albeit without the need to boot into last known good config...?

Any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

woodchip 09:20 14 Dec 04

You have not left C:\ drive with enough room for XP to work with and that I think is slowing your computer down. Try making D: a bit smaller and expand C: with the spare that it leaves

Jeffers22 09:50 14 Dec 04

Putting the pagefile on it's own partition is a good idea. It helps reduce fragmentation as you say, it also speeds up paging.

If your XP partition is 8Gb that is plenty big enough (XP with SP2 is around 2Gb), especially if you are going to run a separate partition for programs. My own XP partitions are all set at 6.83Gb with the pagefile located elsewhere. You should also consider moving sysimage folder to a data partition if you are running HyperOs on this machine. Again, it helps with fragmentation prevention and also prevents your C: drive from filling up too much/too quickly.

TomJerry 09:56 14 Dec 04

as a general rule, the pagefile should be twice as physical RAM, also it best be fixed size.

woodchip is right, XP partition is too small if you have that big pagefile.

Other reasons for slow start up:

(1) anti-virus has been setup to do a scan during bootup

(2) PC is trying to find network and also mapped network drives.

(3) PC is trying to work with other equipment you connect it with

(4) Hard disk is about to pop.

Jeffers22 10:53 14 Dec 04

With respect to TomJerry and Woodchip, the comment about the partition being too small is rubbish. If XP takes 2Gb (approx) and the pagefile is a max of 3Gb, an 8Gb partition has at the very least 3Gb of slack. More than enough.

As far as the pagefile size is concerned the Microsoft recommendation is fo a page file that is
- quote - "For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system." They do haowever add a caveat that if you use memory intensive progs the pagefile size can be increased accordingly.

Slow startup more likely to be as per TomJerry's post.

TomJerry 12:45 14 Dec 04

XP need space to store all restore points which take a lot of space, so XP installtion of 2GB is not whole story, XP with all restore points will take most part of 8GB partition.

Regarding pagefile, dynamic pagefile (size from x to y) can easily get fragmented, it just needs to find space somewhere when size increased. Defragmenting pagefile needs special software. So the best pagefile for performance is fixed size pagefile (i.e. 1028MB - 1028MB). It would be even better to put to a dedicated partition, but I tried it and almost no improvement.

Jeffers22 13:47 14 Dec 04

Sorry my friend that is just not true. The restore point does not duplicate the whole of the install. system restore require just 200Mb on the system drive (i.e. C:) Take a look at this MS KB article. http: //support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300044

As to fragmentation and the pagefile, to the best of my knowledge there is nothing telling the pagefile it can only occupy "this specific set of sectors on the drive". As a result is can spread itself all over the physical drive and can fragment into any sector - regardless of how big or small it is.

Defragmenting the page file is a simple a job as setting it to zero size, running chkdisk and then restoring it to the original (or some other) size. No special software needed at all.

kevvyb 20:41 14 Dec 04

....very much for all these informative replies which I appreciate very mcuh indeed.

I think I'll put the page file on a newly created partition 'cos it just seems like a good idea. Nearly did it on original config; don't know why I didn't in the end.

The thing about searching for a network rings some bells. I have set the notebook up to share files and printer from my desktop. Does this mean that I have to put up with a very slow boot if the notebook is away from base and/or file and printer sharing is not required? Or is there a way, having set it up, of preventing the search for the network until the notebook has booted up?

TomJerry 23:24 14 Dec 04

~

Jeffers22 23:52 14 Dec 04

Does not affect my boot up times and I rarely have the notebook on and connected when I fire up the main PC, ditto when two other desktops are not yet on. However, that is not to say it couldn't be a factor.

kevvyb 00:07 15 Dec 04

On initial evidence looks like it is the searching for the network folders that is causing the slow down. Have done nothing other than take the sharing off the folders on my desktop. These folders still appear in windows explorer under network places but are not accessible.

Boot up now seems to be much as it was before enabling file and printer sharing.

TomJerry, is this what you meant when you said disable sharing or did you have something else in mind?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…