Win XP Home installation

iscanut2 13:14 21 Jan 03
  iscanut2 13:14 21 Jan 03

May be a silly question, but will a new, full version of Win XP Home install over an OEM ( Recovery Disc ) version without any problems. I would rather have the CD & full version.
On the other hand, being Microsoft, am I inviting problems ( apart from losing the software support of my pc provider ! )

Elrond 13:19 21 Jan 03

Yeah shud be fine. When you say full versiion do you mean the one that would cost hundred and summat quid or the £90 version?

iscanut2 13:40 21 Jan 03

I would prefer full version, unless of course the upgrade version would do the same job !

Elrond 13:49 21 Jan 03

If you pay for the more expensive full version, you will not need to worry about having any other OS on your HDD. If you buy the upgrade version you have to previously had a windows installation. I got the upgrade version and it installed fine over the top of my win98 that was pre-installed on my PC and i only had a recovery disk. If you do this you will have the option to install over your existing set up keeping everthing in tact or reforamt the HDD and install a new. All the upgrade version requires is that you have some existing over a previous windows(not win95 however). So you'd probably be okay getting the cheaper upgrade verison. But wait for further responses to confirm

billyliv 13:57 21 Jan 03

Hi, Not too sure about this but you may have a registry clash with your installation key numbers. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…