Win XP Home - Freezing at Loading Screen - HELP!

GibsonSt19 17:21 19 Dec 04

Evening all, I have a PC here that freezes on the 'Windows XP' loading screen for the majority of boots.

Sometimes it will get through to the desktop, yet freeze after say an hours usage (not strictly).

Now, I've tested each RAM DIMM, and however I have the memory set up, this makes no difference. I've ensured that my HDDs have correct master/slave settings, but still to no avail.

Any ideas?

I feel it could be the GFX Card (Asus v8200 GeForce 3, 64mb), overheating or summat, however the fan is spinning freely and smoothly.

I've tried re-seating the processor with Artic Silver paste between it and the Heatsing and fan, however this has made no difference.

The overall PC temp is max 39 deg C, so should imagine this to be perfectly acceptable.

I've tried pulling the CDROM drives out, and soundcard etc, and this makes no difference either.

Running Windows XP Home.
AMD Athlon 1300+
512mb CRUCIAL Ram (2700 cl 2.5) I think
Some standard Seagate HDD's.

As I say, all is well cooled, so I'm stumped, as it does sound like a heat issue.

Save me, from the hell that is home computing!

Gongoozler 17:24 19 Dec 04

Have a look at Event Viewer (Start - Control panel - Adminstrative Tools - Event Viewer) under both System and Application, and see if there are any errors coincident with the problem startups.

howard60 17:25 19 Dec 04

Have you checked the fan on the cpu for running properly sometimes these spin but not very fast. Run the system with the case open so that you can observe - this will also cool things down and if this cures the problem you are half way to solving it.

GibsonSt19 17:27 19 Dec 04

And the PSU and CPU Fan are new, and highly rated.

They're spinning at a good ol' rate!

Will try the Event Viewer suggestion though. Will this report on probs pre O.S.?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 19 Dec 04

Freezing could be caused by cache file becomming full and /or spyware

Run Crap Cleaner click here to clear your temp folders and bloated registry.

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here

Use spyware blaster to stop spyware being installed and any of the others to get rid of what may be infecting your PC.

A run with scandisk and a defrag may also help.

GibsonSt19 20:12 19 Dec 04

I have all of the above installed and each run on a daily basis (a little [email protected] retentive, I know!), so there are no signs of nastiness.

I also Scandisc each week, and have Diskeeper 9 installed doing its bit.

The thing is, the computer does the same thing from a clean install, before any net connection is made.

Same probs with SP1 as SP2.

This is why I'm ultra confused.

GibsonSt19 00:01 20 Dec 04

Seemed to have made, erm...something (but the word's not progress anyhoo).

All I get now is just the Windows XP loading screen, and instead of freezinf completely, the little loading bar animation kindly continues....for ever basically.

Any ideas?

This came about after the latest BIOS update and VIA chipset drivers updates.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:10 20 Dec 04

I wouldn't worry about the BIOS if your getting that far it must be ok Its more likely the Via drivers.

Try booting in safe mode and roll back the drivers in device manager

AragornUK 01:04 20 Dec 04

The problem with staying on the boot screen and watching the blue loading bar merrily zoom by for an eternity was bugging me recently. It was taking about 2 mins + to get past this part of the boot up. My Event Viewer (System) log showed errors labelled as "disk". Further checking revealed WinXP saying the HD had a bad block. Not saying this is your problem, but (as Gongoozler said above) try Event Viewer (System) and see if anything is in there at the times you boot up

GibsonSt19 09:09 20 Dec 04

Shows regular (ish) errors relating to 'Fasttrak' my RAID software.

I've ensured that he late4st drivers are installed correctly, but this hasn't made a difference.

Not sure what to do now.

Oh, also, it's not VIA that's causing the issues, s it's doing the same thing after a driver roll back.

howard60 17:47 20 Dec 04

do you perchance have another hard drive ide type that you could stick in and load from? I have not yet tried the new hdd with raid etc and have had several people with similar problems. All these have loaded perfectly from an ide hdd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…