Win XP home & Fax

cottager 23:17 20 May 04

I have gone through the old threads covering this subject and I'm still confused!!
I have been attempting to set up a friend's computer to send/receive faxes. The os on his comp is XP home.
I can send faxes but get the error message when receiving them. The fax incoming call is answered and all seems to be working okay then the error message comes through that the fax couldn't be received.
The computer uses a dial up modem.
In the old threads there is much talk of using a fax service for when the computer is not on and I see the sense in that but when the computer is on why can't I receive faxes? What am I doing wrong or not set up correctly?
I have checked, checked and checked again the configurations in the Wizard and there doesn't seem to be any reason why the faxes shouldn't come through.
Any advice gratefully received.
Cottager

spuds 23:34 20 May 04

Have you set it up like this click here

As a matter of interest,and perhaps nothing to do with your problem, I had a similar 'can send,cannot receive'with a stand-alone fax machine. Got the fax engineers in, who checked their machine out, and couldn't find any faults with their machine.After further checks they found a fault with the BT line [reversed cabling].To cut a long story short, the fax people contacted BT and BT made changes to their cabling. Initially, BT refused to except that their installation was to blame.

Stuartli 09:33 21 May 04

You are not doing anything wrong!

If you have a dialup modem, then the computer system has to be switched on and you can't be online in order to receive faxes.

To get over this, for some years I used the FaxMe service to receive incoming faxes as e-mails (fax to e-mail) but this was closed down.

However, if you are a Tiscali subscriber, it runs a similar free service - Tiscali provides you with an individual 0871-xxx-xxx fax number and a small proportion of the cost of sending a fax to you is collected by the ISP as its financial return.

I send faxes as normal from my computer and receive any replies in my Outlook Express Inbox.

Whether sent or received, they are identical in cover sheet design and appearance as a genuine fax.

See a thread on the same subject:

click here

Stuartli 09:36 21 May 04

When I first started to use Windows Messaging (its fax program) I used to asked people to ring me before sending a fax.

I would then go off-line and when the fax was sent all I had to do was click on the Answer button brought up by the fax program.

But it was very tedius...:-)

cottager 22:50 21 May 04

Sorry not to have got back sooner - problems getting online!!!!!!!
Spuds- the lines have been checked and all has been given a clean bill of health.
Stuartli - I have read your past replies to similar threads and realised the computer couldn't be online when receiving a fax. So no problems there and also, information from your previous replies to other people with this problem, also know that a fax to email service is required if the computer isn't always going to be turned on.
My friend just wants to be able to use the programme on XP for sending and receiving faxes when working at his computer. Sending is successful but receiving is a nother story. The fax modem picks up the fax request after the set dialling of 2 rings, the fax console reads that a fax is coming through then shortly afterwards a message comes up saying error in receiving. Using these parameters how do we get the fax programme/modem to do it's job?
Cottager

cottager 23:45 21 May 04

Please does anyone have any more help on this subject?
cottager

VoG II 00:03 22 May 04

Just to check if you get an e-mail.

Sorry, not my subject.

Stuartli 09:13 22 May 04

If you go to the Fax Console's Help files and click on "Enable a local device to receive faxes" and then on the Display tab when in Managing Incoming Faxes, details of how to configure it are provided.

cottager 18:55 22 May 04

Thank you for that I will try your advice but feel that I may have already been there and done it.
VoG™
I received an email alert for Stuartli but not for you!! My first email alert on this threaad
Cottager

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…